Tuesday, November 6, 2012

TAYO THE STUDIO GEEK (Buzz Factor) Stand Up or Fall Back Issue

 
E.H.M.P.: Why Tayo the Studio Geek, what does it mean?

TAYO:
Tayo is short for Mateo, which is how you say my name in Spanish. Studio Geek refers to the fact that I love working in the studio the same way a geek may love to tinker with computers and know all the intricate details of how they work. I get into every little detail that is involved in creating my music. I am a geek. A Studio Geek!

E.H.M.P.: Your image is way different from your sound and yet you manage to captivate audiences. How do you feel when you see the faces of hundreds at amazement?

TAYO:
My image is not an image and that's what’s so great about it. I look and act the way I feel. I believe that's what my fans love so much about me-the fact that I look the way I look and make the music that I do. It's all part of my "keep it real" program. I'm not a product of branding or clever marketing. I am me! So when I see people in the crowd vibing with me and my Studio Geek family to the music that we love to create, it's beautiful. I feel perfect, like I know this is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.

E.H.M.P.: What has been your most memorable performance thus far in your career?

TAYO:
Winning the Hot 97 contest was very special to me because I felt like if I could make that panel of judges believe in me, then it would confirm what I believed from the jump: that I am the real deal! I love hip hop. I love being a part of it and I love sharing it.

E.H.M.P.: What are more important lyrics, flow or the production?

TAYO:
They're all equally important. It's like a symphony. Every instrument plays a part in creating a piece of art. If your lyrics are tight but the flow is off or the production is off, it will ruin the experience. That's what music is, really-it’s an experience. You hear it, it moves you and it makes feel a certain way.

E.H.M.P.: I hear your music has been played a few times at Hot 97 NY. Did you hear yourself on the radio and how did it feel?

TAYO:
It felt crazy. I think every artist is blown away the first time they hear themselves on the radio. You think about all the people that are listening to your music at that very moment. Everybody you know calls you, texts you, Facebook and tweets you. DJ Kay Slay had hit me up moments before and hinted at the fact that I would be on when he came on. I was hyped. I felt like I was on top of the world.

E.H.M.P.: What is the ultimate goal?

TAYO:
Ultimately I am going to make music until my heart is content. Then I will move on to other business opportunities that my music will open up for me. I'd like to do some acting and possibly manage some artists of my own. There are so many possibilities for me. I'm only 18 and I can dream as big as I want to. I can still be president if I want!

E.H.M.P.: Choose five producers you want on your debut album.

TAYO:
I would really love to work with No-ID, Questlove, Stoupe, Pete Rock, and Kanye West. I mean, that's my wish list. Those are legends behind a lot of hip hop's greatest sounds. But I also have run into a lot of great up and coming producers at shows, online and through some connects that I'm exited to work with as well. Last but not least is Studio Geek's own B Champ. We get it in day in and day out in the studio and one day he's going to be a legend as well!

E.H.M.P.: Where can our readers hear your music?

TAYO:
I am currently working on my mixtape but I'm on DJ Kay Slay's new mixtape titled Changing of the Guard and you can find it online almost on all the major hip-hop blogs or mixtape websites. Also everyone can check out my youtube page youtube.com/tayostudiogeek for music videos and performances. Be on the lookout for my website which is being worked on as we speak and follow me @tayostudiogeek to see what a real Studio Geek is about!!!
 
 

Written By, A.D. The General
Courtesy of The Elegant Hoodness Musical Program 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment