Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spigg Nice - LB Fam (Exclusive Interview from Prison)



Royalty Magazine: What's good? How's life treating you?
 
Spigg: SALUTE...This iz Sp!gg-Nice from the Lost Boyz Krew, here in F.C.I. Raybrook.  All iz good Fam. Life is simple, you win some you lose some.
 
Royalty Magazine:  Before we talk about the New Year, let's reflect back a little on 2012.  What do you think you will remember most about 2012?  What were some of your greatest moments or accomplishments?

Spigg: Well 2012 happened to be my 10th yr of being away from my Fam. (April 16th) also I'll remember that Obama got re-elected. Accomplishments and greatest moments: To tell you the truth, there rarely are any great moments or accomplishments behind these walls.  In THIS world we're happy for each other when it's time for someone to go home, but when Congress etc...aren't playing fair with these laws (Bills) and giving these harsher sentences to our people, the accomplishments for us to continue our race slowly falling by the wayside every year. 

Royalty Magazine: Tell us one thing that you will do differently this year than previous years before?  If you had the worlds attention at this very moment, what would you say? What would you want them to remember about you most?


Spigg: What I'd do differently: One thing that I will continue to do is uplift my people (Moors), especially my LB family. I would say that the Movement is Not Over! Beware of the 3rd Generation. 


I would want people to remember that, just because I played the background that I was just as important as the foreground (those that know know what I'm talking about).  Meaning, I wasn't called "Quiet Storm" for no reason. Cheeks and Tah was known as "Thunda and Rain".


Royalty Magazine: You were part of the Lost Boyz family, what was your role and how did the LBFAM stand out as a movement?       


Spigg: The part I played: I was known as DJ SP!GG-N!CE, but I helped co-produce song lyrics with Cheeks, and chose the beats that would compliment the lyrics. We stood out by being a Movement and not just a rap group. We had bigger plans than you've seen, but the label couldn't even see the next level we were taking them to (clothes, cigars, etc...). 



Royalty Magazine:  How did Tah's death impact or affect you?  


Spigg: When Tah passed it hurt us all. For me it was like losing another brother again. I lost my little Bro (R.I.P. B!GG M!KE. BSC.131) in '94 just before the first single started circulating. So Tah's passing was like losing a body part.

Royalty Magazine: What was your reaction to a 37 year prison sentence?  What was the fans reaction during this time?     


Spigg: My reaction: I was shocked and confused when the judge said 444 months. I was looking at my lawyer like, how much time is that? For a kat that has never did a bid, no criminal history, and was so minute in this case, how do I get that much time? Even though the Government didn't completely prove their case, they still convicted us (By cheating!!!,Yeah, if they want you bad enough, they'll cheat to win).  


Most important in which I've learned about our case thus far is that it helped Governor Christie (of N.J.) get his seat he's in now.  He wasn't a Gov. back then, but after our case, his status rose and the following election he became Governor.  We were being railroaded during our whole trial!!! I hope My Fanz (LB'z) understand that it was never my intentions to let y'all down!  The fam that still supports me (they know who they are)...we know that this journey is almost over. 



Royalty Magazine:  Tell us a little bit about Tah day and what it represents?  For someone who has never been, briefly tell us what one should expect to see as well as experience?

Spigg: Tah Day: I've never been, but by the pics that I've received from Fam and seen, the support & how the youngings have grown...makez me proud of everyone who shows up to Tah Day yearly. I've seen shirts being drawn up (Jeff Star, Jay Ball), music being played (Hot 97'z Mister Cee, etc...).


Royalty Magazine:  Why is it so important for you to keep Tah’s memory alive?  How important is it for his legacy to continue to live on in the world of hiphop? 


Spigg: I think it's important to keep Tah's name alive because if you remember the Lost Boyz, you have to remember Freaky Tah. He was a major part of the Lost Boyz sound. His legacy will continue to live on in fans mind as the hype man with that "Raspy Voice". 


I'm always told that he was the 2nd best "Hype Man" after Flavor Flav. So those who didn't know...Go Cop That 1st Album, "Legal Drug Money"; It's everlasting. I know he's left his legacy when white katz in here are reciting to me: Three Thousand Problemz (this happened to me today)...Go Get That Album!!! 



Royalty Magazine: Freaky Tah along with many other great artists’ lives were cut short before their time, how will you use your voice to turn this negative situation into a positive? In your eyes what can the hiphop community do to make change or bring awareness?  What can the fans/supporters do?

Spigg: Senseless violence happens everyday. I'm kinda glad that they're having these gun drives and people are turning them in. Honestly, even if rappers get together & unite and make a song like back in the day (Self Destruction: by East Coast artists, Same Gang: by West Coast artists)...it won't stop the violence.  But it will make the youth more aware of their actions. So we togetherness in Hip Hop again instead of more, Pop's Mollies and Strip club songs. Even "R/B artist" are making drug addict and strip club songs. "Where and when they start that?" You can tell that the heads of the labels don't care...it's All About The $$$.



Royalty Magazine: Freaky Kah, Tah’s son is an upcoming rapper.  What advice if any, would you give him coming onto the scene?  What similarities do you see between him and your brother?  How does Kah stand out as an artist and why should people support his music?

Spigg: One day I called Tah'z producer Glenn Fade (134) and to my surprise he said, " I got Kahlil in the booth!!!" At first I was thinking, who's Kahlil? Then he must have read my mind and answered the question, and said Tah's Son Kahlil. I was confused because I haven't seen or heard from him.  He was still a kid because Kah and my son used to play together (whenever we got them together). 


He then said "Kah got that fire, he's ready!" So me and Kah spoke briefly because my time was limited, but I will say that "He'll Have A Story To Tell !!!" I just want him to live for his father through him. Be that Spirit and Soul of hip Hop that his father was always talking about. Everything a LB puts on a CD is the Truth!!! Alwayz promote ya-self to keep the unaware aware of you and stick to your beliefs...your supporterz will feel you. I'm telling y'all...the next wave of LB's will be just as Dominate!!! (3rd generation).


Royalty Magazine: Speaking of hiphop, how have things changed from back then until now?  What are some negative as well as positive things you have witnessed in the world of hiphop?  


Spigg: A lot of things changed in Hip Hop with this computer age, but in the music, you're always gonna have your "how is he still around?"and "what happened to so and so?" rappers. The lyrical content is just so...Absent. You now can say 2 verses of something wack and that'll be a complete song. You can practically say nothing that makes a bit of sense, and the kidz will follow & love the song and don't know why!!! I know it's the "Drugs" that are influencing these Wack-Ass songz. 



Royalty Magazine: Any advice to upcoming artists or groups who may not have a financial or major backing looking to break into the industry?

Spigg: Financial backing: If you don't have financial backing to get in, don't be ashamed to get a job to support your dreams or ask someone to invest in you with good intent to make them a profitable return.  But you really have to show'em that you're serious and dedicated. As for the job aspect, save all monies and invest in Ya-self to "Promote" Ya-self. Only "You" know your self worth, and only "You" can show others what "You're" trying/gonna do with "Your" life. To tell the truth I stole cars to make sure my krew had what we needed to get to and from the studio, food, weed and drinks.  Even though we had a deal at the time, I sacrificed my life for my krew.

My advice for upcoming artist iz, don't try to copy the "Wack" just because they're successful for a song or two. It doesn't mean they'll be remembered yearz down the line, stay do better and try to uplift the music and mindz of your listenerz. Don't dumb down the music to make money, you're stagnating our culture from growing, teaching and learning. 






Royalty Magazine: Any last words, comments or shot outs?  Any misconceptions or anything you want to touch basis on that we haven’t already?

Spigg: SHOUT-OUTZ: To My BSC 131 chpt., 134 krew and ALL other LB's that are associated. Keno, Dramatic, Von Kemet (STL Chpt.), Pretty Lou, Jay-Raff, Queen Josephine (Queen of the LB's),Trev and Kev Repp'n Fla. LB's, Wise Malik Allah, Trayon  (my cuz hold'n it down on Rikerz), Mae-Mae, My Co-d'z: Starr, Born, and Preme. I'll see y'all when we get home in a N.Y. Minute. 


And my Moms, Pops, and aunt Dee and whole Fam for holding me down over these trying times.  The Whole "Moorish American Nation, ISLAM MO!" (I'm Blackwell-Bey), Keep me in Y'all prayers. Check out My "FREE Sp!gg-N!ce face book page". I do reach out and check in... Da O.G. Sp!gg-N!ce...SALUTE 



Royalty Magazine: Thanks for your time.  Much Love & Respect.


written by
TazDatMC for Royalty Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment