Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Freakington of Reddarme (Ear Hustlin') Summer Grind Issue 2012

    Royalty Magazine: What's good? How has the first half of 2012 been treating you so far?
    Freakington: Everything is good no complaints just working and staying busy, grinding basically. 2012 is shaping up to be a great year thus far. The focus is on success and prosperity. 
    Royalty Magazine: That’s wassup! You currently rap, sing, produce, compose, etc. What part of music did you get involved into first? What followed second, etc? What pushed you to take that first step and take music seriously?
    Freakington: Yes I’m pretty self contained musically. I started really early as a toddler I would take the pots & pans out of the cupboard and "play the drums" with the wooden spoons, which led to my first drum set. My father plays pretty much every instrument well, so even in youth I was always fascinated by music. I played drums at the church where my pops was the MD and began taking the keyboards more seriously (which was the start of producing I'd say as early as maybe age 13-14). I always wanted to know how the record was made, who played this who sang that or whatever. Not to mention my father was also running his recording studio in the basement, so it's pretty much a part of my DNA as music has always been a big deal to me. It's a pretty big deal on my father’s side of the family to say the least. 
    Royalty Magazine: Do you remember the first song you recorded, produced or composed? If so, tell us a little about it. What was it about? Was it hot or not? 
    Freakington:Wow ... The first joint I recorded ... I may have been about 14-15 I think. I'm sure it was r&b because I didn't really start rapping until after high school. But more than likely it was some sort of love song or whatever. I personally used to think I actually "was" Jodeci ... So it was probably something pretty groovy ... Was it hot? As far as I'm concerned (at least then it was) ... Lol ... The girls at school loved it so I don’t think it could've been too too bad. Lol, but I'm sure the responses from peers helped shape my desire to perfect my craft and sound. Watching someone enjoy your own idea of a hit and agreeing is priceless though it's really one of the bigger pay offs to me. 
    Royalty Magazine: I can dig it! In being from an industry and area that is so competitive, how do you stay motivated? Stay consistent? 
    Freakington: Well the idea of making that new sound or finding that particular melody or groove that can come about spontaneously is a great deal of the motivation as well as just being a competitor by nature initially. Hearing other artists and producers ideas and work also plays a huge part. I like to raise the bar every time I get a chance and achieve more & more, so it's a constant motivation to aim to be #1 & stay consistent by doing as much. 
    Royalty Magazine: Real talk. You worked with Redman on the Reggie album. What was it like working with Redman and can we expect any future Redman/Gillahouse collaborations? 
    Freakington: Yeah I did "All I do" ft. Faith Evans. That was pretty big I always was a big fan of both Red and Faith so it was definitely a great opportunity. I've been cool with Redman for quite some time so that's the homie anyway, but when he told me Faith was doing the hook it was like "oh man word ?!??!" I got mad love & respect for Red though he's one of the only cats that kept it tall the whole time we've cool so the history definitely keeps the future intact. You should expect to see some collaborations in the near future with him & myself. 
    Royalty Magazine: Yeah I am a fan of Redman as well as Faith, so I can dig it! You are also part of a movement called "REDD ARME". Tell us more about your group. How did yall hook up and who are the other members? 
    Freakington: The Redd Arme is a Midwest/East coast partnership between Bobby Bushea and myself. With him hailing from Queens and me being from Ohio… it creates a fresh & unique sound, yet maintains the standard of hip-hop (if that makes any sense). We have the "Redd Tape" coming out really soon to start the campaign that will pretty much set the tone for the forthcoming "Greaseball Music Vol. 1". You can expect the "Redd Tape" to drop mid March early April. It features "Redd Arme" along with our other artists "Steph Stone", "Slash", "Money Mars" and a few others. I handle all of the production on both projects as we all contribute lyrically. We met through mutual friends and family, (myself and Bobby that is), and pretty much clicked from day one. It's a family oriented bond so it goes way beyond the music though and that's the foundation of the movement. "Steph", "Slash", & "Kulade" also serve as key soldiers in the movement providing their own unique individuality artistically, so it's basically a new regime outside with a solid and sound foundation to build success as well as make history while doing so. 
    Royalty Magazine: That track yall did "Steady Hustlin" ft Jim Jones & Kulade goes hard. What was the motivation behind that track? Who are some other artists you have worked with? 
    Freakington: Thanks I’m glad you dig it. "Steady Hustlin" came about during the early stages of "G.B.M Vol. 1". Iit was one of the first joints we recorded actually so we put "Kulade" on the hook, threw it out on the radio for a test and it got some pretty high reviews. Jim Jones was buzzin on NY radio heavy at the time so it was suggested that we do a song with him and that's the one he picked to jump on so it was good business & the joint came out hot. S/O to "Young Guru" on the mix and "Jim Jones". I've worked with quite a few people though "Mobb Deep", "Redman", "JoJo","Rockwilder", "Uncle Murda" ,"Memphis Bleek", "9th Wonder" "Rick Ross","Mario Winans" , "Andy Hilfiger" I mean the list just keeps growing you know so it's working out for me at a pretty reasonable pace. 
    Royalty Magazine: In starting from where you began to where you are at now, how has hiphop as well as the industry changed? Where do u see music going over the next 5-10 years? 
    Freakington: Hip hop has changed a great deal in a way, but to me it's like history repeating itself as well. The history of it has repeated itself several times over from the colors we used to wear in the 80's being popular now to even the DJ being more exposed like it used to be before. You have a whole new group of "superstars" in the video models and rappers girlfriends; you even have rappers achieving higher acclaim independently faster than a signed artist. The "skinny jean" trend, the mohawks , and all the other elements outside of the culture that over time have been influenced and infused into hip hop. At times it's a bit much to keep up with but the variety of options you have as a listener in music is always a plus I'd say. 
    Royalty Magazine: I can dig what you saying. I am waiting for that 90’s era of hiphop to make its way back around lol. So do you have any upcoming tracks, shows or projects that we should be looking out for? 
    Freakington: Well the focus now is pretty much the aforementioned "Redd Tape" and "Greaseball Music Vol. 1" and the whole "Redd Arme" movement as well as the production end on my side. We’re working on a lot of different projects from fashion to film as well, however the foundation is the music so we look to continue solidifying the brand and getting the sound out there. 
    Royalty Magazine: Sounds good. Do you have any advice to upcoming artists or producers looking to break into the industry? What are some Do's & Don'ts you have learned throughout your career? 
    Freakington: I've learned to not really take a bunch of business personal it's one of the things that disrupt both sides if you let it affect either side. Also I'd advise artists and producers to take the time to make sure your own business is handled. It’s not something that seems interesting to do until you've missed out on a bunch of money. I always encourage people I meet to just stay working and remain busy about taking yourself to the next level. Finally I'd tell the producers to separate your tracks when you complete the track so if there's ever a check available for one of your beats you don't have to risk losing the placement due to not having the mpc or the keyboard you made it on before. Having to recreate a track is one thing, but having to recreate a track that you could've tracked out saved and got paid for is completely different, trust me.
    Royalty Magazine: I can dig it! Any last words, comments or shot outs? How can people check out some of your work? 
      Freakington: I'd like to personally thank Royalty magazine for the look we appreciate it greatly. You can get more in tuned to the movement at ReddArme.com , twitter @reddarme, @freakington. Production is ways on deck and networking is the key in this game, so get at us you dig. Also s/o to "P.B." for putting it together. The entire "Redd Arme Regime", "Winning Streak Films" & "Ghetto Legends" and everyone involved in the movement of making good music. Hoffa. 
    Royalty Magazine: Thank you for your time. Much love & Respect… 
      Interview courtesy of TazDatMC for Royalty Magazine


      No comments:

      Post a Comment