Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Diamonds (G3MZ) and Pearls…(Summer Grind Issue 2012)

Most times when I hear a mixtape for the first time I look for certain things. With hip-hop I look for eloquence, an amazing story, and a certain cinematic aspect.
That sort of thing has been seen rather often by me in recent releases. By way of an example I name two of my favorite mixtapes.

One is 4eva N a Day, Big K.R.I.T.’s most recent mixtape. This amazing collection of songs tells a unique story of a day in the life. It is told with amazing detail and well put together interludes, playing as if some sort of movie.

Similarly Stalley’s Lincoln Way Nights tells something of a similar story.

What I came to love most about the both of these efforts were the cinematic aspects of them. The mixtape I will be reviewing today has a fair amount of that working for it.

Rapper G3MZ presents a pretty good entry into the hip-hop consciousness with his tape Deaf By Stereo. The title is what first drew me in here. It hits the ear rather well. Here’s hoping that the mixtape does the same.

The first track “Grindaz” catches me completely unaware because of how it begins. That cinematic element I spoke on was heavy in it as I hear the words of High Chancellor Adam Sutler, a character from the film V For Vendetta. The quote he speaks sets the tone for the mixtape:  

"What we need right now is a clear message to the people of this country. This message must be read in every newspaper, heard on every radio, seen on every television. This message must resound throughout the entire Internet. I want this country to realize that we stand on the edge of oblivion. I want every man, woman, and child to understand how close we are to chaos.  I want everyone to remember, why they need us."

The song’s content only seems to resound in the wake of the epic beginning.


Eco Stimulus” is my personal favorite not only for how G3MZ delivers the indictments behind each word but because of the perfect use of what I suspect is a harpsichord.

I also love the vibe of the banger “In These Streets” featuring Cortez. It is a street anthem and it plays with all the grit and grime of the streets. As a student of samples I recognized the Bobby Womack sample and appreciate them for it.

G3MZ does what his name implies here and drops diamond after diamond on this mixtape. My suggestion? Download it and be blessed with these precious stones and beats.


Courtesy of Lucius Black for Royalty Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment