Monday, July 25, 2011

Below The Radar (Summer Issue 2011)




U'Kno Tha Don



You think U'Kno...but you have no idea! Hailing from the Tri-State area, U'KNO THA DON is like none other. A lot of artists claim to have gone through trails and tribulations, but imagine being tried for a crime you didn't commit, being casted out like a fallen angel, and losing someone you've loved for a lifetime. Beating the odds, proving his innocence and self worth, and coming out a true believer, U'KNO was literally writing for his life. His verses are like Bible scriptures and his songs are his book of life; passionate, raw, heartfelt, reality, U'Kno Tha Don is just that; straight up, no chaser. Hell on earth has brought out something powerful in this young artist. People, take a peek in U'Kno's life and understand his testimony. He truly has a story to tell.

N.A.B: Who is "U'Kno Tha Don"? Explain the name.

U'Kno: First thing, I am a God fairing man. Secondly I am a brand and extremely versatile. I am an artist, model, T.V & radio personality and a business man. The name was given to me by a music producer, and his favorite video game. The name is self-explanatory. ( laughing)


N.A.B: What brought you to love music the way you do?

U'Kno: My Caribbean background had a big role to play. As well as Fugees, Notorious Biggie Smalls and Boot Camp Clique.


N.A.B: Who or what influences you to write the type of music you do?

U'Kno: Life inspires me as well as my mentor Nash. (My Life Entertainment baby LOL)


N.A.B: Let's talk about the year 2007. How did that year effect you physical, mentally, emotionally, and creative wise?

U'Kno: Physically I was beat down, and mentally I was lost. Emotionally I was hurt, and creatively I was a beast. (GOD IS GOOD BABY!…. AMEN LOL)

N.A.B: CHUUCH! Now, A lot of artists fabricate their lives and situations that surround them. Do you feel that going through that trying time has brought the more realistic side out in your artistry?

U'Kno: Yes, because before I had no identity I was a solider. And now I am a leader.
Piece of advice to those out there, you may just want to follow my lead.


N.A.B: What projects do you have out and what projects are you working on right now?

U'Kno: Currently I am featured on Gin Tv’s latest DVD. I just launched my latest video “Runway”. I am working in my latest mixtape "European Dreams" and "Testimony" with My Life Entertainment. You can say I'm dipping my hand in some fashion projects with my P.R Phoenix and her company Essence of Evolution. Last but never least you can tune to me on allblackradio.com, 99.3fm, starfmny.com and find me hosting on BCAT (Brooklyn Cable Access Television).

N.A.B: What is your main focus for your music? What is the message you are trying to send out to your peers and fans alike?

U'Kno: That there is nothing wrong with being yourself. Dare to be different, stand up for something and fall for nothing.

N.A.B: Are there any major collaborations in the works for your upcoming project?

U'Kno: Nash, Screechy Dan, Lyn Carter, Logan Threat, Lloyd, Usher and many more!

N.A.B: What can the world expect from U'Kno Tha Don in the next 5 years?

U'Kno: God willing, music, fashion and motivational speaking. By the way, once I get my chance I will run NYC.

N.A.B: What advice can you give to up and coming emcee's striving to get noticed or get to that next level of their career?
U'Kno: Be true to yourself, create trends, don’t follow them! Become a leader not follower, and know what it means to become men and women outside of music.

N.A.B: If it is one quote you can tell the world, what would that be?

U'Kno: "For whom much is given, much is expected."

N.A.B : Any last words or shout outs?

U'Kno: Without God I am nothing! Shout outs to my fans, my team, and my family. You can always keep posted with what I am doing by my Facebook.com/U’knothadon, Twitter.com/ U’knomania, or you can find me on Google and You Tube.

WRITTEN BY MS FEFE(NAB)
COURTESY OF THE ELEGANT HOODNESS MUSICAL PROGRAM 2011




P-PROP


Peter D.J Green, respectively known as P-Prop. Hip Hop artist who takes pride as a writer, in his ability to articulate his thoughts over instrumentals. Born and raised in Buffalo N.Y., P-prop was heavily influenced by his father who was a DJ. As a result he was exposed to several genres of music such as jazz, blues, and music from the 60's and 70's. His music influences include Jay-Z, Big L, Talib Kweli and Joe Budden amongst others. The passion for writing came at an early age for P-prop, beginning with short stories and poems which eventually graduated to putting words to music. Every lyric is written with substance, emotion, honesty, creativity and innovation. Gathered from everyday life experiences that makes his music relatable to everyone. P-prop is a proud award winner of Memoirs by A.D. The General … Radio Artist of the Year… His single “Tonight” ft. Money Mitch & Mitchell J was the song that won him the award & The Elegant Hoodness Musical Program ATL 2011' 1st place Winner. P-prop is a part of More Than Music Ent. A company created by real family with the goal of spreading this music to the world.



N.A.B.: How do you feel you as an artist differ from other artist in your genre of music?

P-PROP: Every artist is different. I am just bringing my story. My side of things to music.. That is all!!


N.A.B.: Would you say that you benefited from your father being a DJ? How would you say he prepared you for the industry?


P-PROP: I benefited greatly, because of him I am not bias to just one genre. My ear was open to all type of music and because of the hard work I seen my pops put in, I am instilled with the same values, the same ethic.

N.A.B.: How did you become acquainted with A.D. the General and the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program? How do you feel about their mission?

P-PROP: It pretty much started with a twitter message; her people’s SpecialGift N.A.B., hit me. She took a notice of the hard work I was putting in and it’s been on ever since. I respect the movement because they are giving us artists a voice, a place to showcase our talent. It’s rare you find people that actually want to see you get your goals and dreams to the next level.

N.A.B.: How is it to be titled “Radio Artist of the Year” for you single “Tonight” ft. Money Mitch & Mitchell J? How has that accomplishment benefited your success as an artist?

P-PROP: It is a blessing. God is good. It feels great to be recognized for your hard work, but this is only the beginning. I just appreciate A.D. and the whole N.A.N./N.A.B. fam for opening the door.

N.A.B.: What is P-Prop working on now as far as music? How do you plan on taking it to the next level?

P-PROP: Making music is the easy part so that never stops. Continuing to kill these shows and when opportunity knocks, answer.

N.A.B.: How do you feel about the Hip-Hop industry right now and how do you plan to make a major impact?

P-PROP: Hip Hop is forever changing always evolving. I just want to put my stamp on it. Bring my city to the fold and let the world hear my side of things.

N.A.B.: Where can supporters connect with your music, yourself and if anyone is interested in collaboration with you, who can they contact?

P-PROP: You can follow me on twitter @ppropmusic for networking. I do follow back. You can check my videos on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/ppropmusic1 for all music and downloads check my reverb, www.reverbnation.com/pprop U wanna collab hit me on the email p_propjg@yahoo.com
 

N.A.B.: Is there anyone that you want to shout out?
P-Prop: My whole more than music family. Money Mitch, Mitchell J, my Moms of course, Pops and Lil Sis. And my reason for doing what I do, my son James aka Jag.
 Written by: Gsteam843
Courtesy of the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program 2011



Bizzy


Twilla Oglesby a.k.a Bizzy was raised in Kansas City MO. Bizzy started her music career at the age of thirteen, freestyle battling in middle school where she became known locally as artist Bizzy. By the age of sixteen as a freshman in high school Bizzy began writing and recording her own music. While taking the time to study and perfect her craft, Bizzy put together her first single titled "Dope Girl" which spread through the streets very quickly. Catching everyone’s attention and seeing where the buzz was taking her she decided to joined up with a childhood friend , also a local rapper and formed a group whom went by the name "D2G". Now 20 years old she’s come into a successful music career steadily heading towards excellence, mark ability, and a profitable career. With the help of an agent Ad General to help press forward her talent and advance her career she’s released a new mixtape May 1st of 2011 called "The Right Back RockinMixtape Vol 1. Currently performing at open mic sessions and a number of personal shows at various venues throughout the Kansas City Metro Area the audience response has become extraordinary. Responses like this are what lead to her winning the “Team NAN” award at her latest event, “The Elegant Hoodness Musical Program Showcase” in Kansas Missouri. With a great support team and the loads of energy she brings to every performance she is surely closer to advancing her career to a professional level.
NAB: What does the name Bizzy represent?

 
BIZZY: The name Bizzy came from my years while I was attending middle school I was always caught by the principal freestyle battling in the hallways and when he caught me he would say "Oglesby I see you keep yourself busy in these hallways I hope that gets you that A you need" after hearing him say it so much I took the word busy and turned it into something that represents me personally "Bizzy".

 
NAB: What or who were some of your influences growing up that inspired you musically?

 
BIZZY: Some of my influences growing up was Notorious B.I.G, Tupac, Juvenile, LiL Wayne, my sister, brother, my mother and family members inspired me to keep pushing being that my family was built on music they knew I had what it took to get where I wanted to be.

NAB: How did you become acquainted with the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program and what do you think about what they represent?BIZZY: I became acquainted with Elegant Hoodness when I logged into my face book page and seen that Ad General was in my inbox talking about a show that was coming to my home town I sent her some music and she was on my heels about the show since then at first I was going to past on it but she kept pushing and didn’t let me give up so I ended up following through with it I think the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program represent something that mean something to many artist out here everybody deserve a chance and that’s just what they give a lot of artist.

 
NAB: What was it like performing at the Elegant Hoodness Showcase and leaving with the Team Nan award? Would you recommend this to other artist coming up or independent?

 
BIZZY: Performing at the Elegant Hoodness program was an experience I’ll never forget I performed in front of crowds all the time but I have never been recorded live so that was something new to Bizzy everyone thought I would be nervous but they thought wrong knowing that I was going to be seen from everywhere I was pumped and ready it was a great show and a great experience. leaving with the team nan award made me feel like I had what it took to get to the top because I had competition and I really didn’t know what I was up against so winning team nan was a great feeling would definitely recommend this to other artist.

 
NAB: How would you describe your style of music and what goals have you set for yourself as an artist?

 
BIZZY: I would describe my style of music as one of a kind I say that because every time I perform or freestyle for somebody they would tell me they like my style of rapping and that its different from any other they have heard so I definitely feel that it’s one of a kind. The number one goal I have for myself I have always wanted to be signed with a major record label because I know that’s what I deserve and I know I have what it takes to reach my goal.

NAB: I see you have a mixtape out “The Right Back Rockin” Vol 1, How did you pick the title and what was the thought process putting the mixtape together?

 
BIZZY: I came up with the name The Right Back Rocking Mixtape Vol 1 because it represents my struggle at a point and time I was down I was homeless for almost a year with no way of making it out at the time all I could think about was doing music getting back on a stage making something of myself so when I was blessed with a job and my own place my mom brought me a mic and she told me not to let anything get in the way of what I’m trying to do so the songs I wrote why I was in the streets I put them to beats and I was Right Back Rocking with my music so I made it into a mixtape. the process of putting this mixtape together it took a lot of pain a lot of downs a lot of people putting me down money that I really didn’t have to spend but I put my last into it most of my time and a lot of my energy.

 
NAB: Where can supporters and fans find out more about you and your music? Any shout outs you want to give?

 
BIZZY: Supporters and fans and find more about me and my music mainly by all my music and fan pages I have a music page on MySpace I have a twitter a face book or they can shoot me a direct message and I’ll take it from there. I would like to give a shout out to my mother my sisters and brothers my family my fans god my significant other my father Ad general and Ms Fefe the who Elegant Hoodness movement and everyone else that’s been there thank you..


written by: Gsteam843
Courtesy of The Elegant Hoodness Musical Program 2011



Criminal Intent


Criminal Intent is a group of Hip Hop artist who has been rapping since they basically knew how to talk. DIABOLICLE one of the members of Criminal Intent just opened for HAYSTACK in Kansas last march. PERUVIAN AND CAPONE are currently working on their upcoming mixtape “MOLEE”. Criminal Intent is the raps scenes version of the Builderdurg group. Their lyrical styles are what some may call a cosmic fusion of music that captivates the eardrum. Criminal Intent smashed their performance at the Elegant Hoodness Showcase Event April 30th, 2011 in Kansas, MO taking 3rd place Criminal Intent is not slowing down, look out for their singles “ON 6’s” and “Drink till we throw up”.

NAB: So I know a lot of people would like to know why you all picked the name “Criminal Intent”.

CI: We are utilizing how most people view young men; just because their hats cocked a certain way and we wear are clothes a certain way. DIABOLICLE is in college right now working on his business degree, but not knowing that a lot of people judge young people by their appearance.

NAB: How did you all link up as a group and how would you say you all differ and compare to one another?

CI: We linked up on a family bases -Young Doe is my brother (DIABOLICLE) from another mother Peruvian is his cousin and Major Capone is Peruvian’s brother from another mother. One night we was kickin it and I (DIABOLICLE) just finished the Haystack show with my dude FETTI we started talking about writing to theses beats my lil bro just bought from JB (a producer) and things just fell in place.

NAB: What do you guys hope to accomplish in this much competitive industry?

CI: We want to bring the game back to “The Lyrical Standard” we feel as though the rap game is being tainted in many ways. You know we want as many Grammies as we can get our hands on.

NAB: How did you all find out about the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program, and how do you all feel the experience with them has and will impact you guy’s music endeavors?

CI: I (DIABOLICLE) was talking to my dude Rico Ricardo and he told me if you serious about your music you need to enter this contest. He hit me with FeFe’s number and I leaped on the opportunity. To tell the truth this contest launched our status on the rap scene in to the majors for real. We about to do some music with some cats that’s about to elevate our game city wide and abroad-No I can’t name drop!!

NAB: What was it like performing at the Elegant Hoodness showcase and what do you guys feel about their movement?

CI: performing at this event was an experience that every young hungry rapper needs to be a part of. We respect the Elegant Hoodness movement because they on the same thing we on. Everybody rap but who can put on a live show? , who can really display their self as a lyricist? Not just a rapper.

NAB: Along with the mixtape what projects or events do you guys have coming in the near future?

CI: June 3rd and July 1st we are performing at Aftershock again. We plan on making the Elegant Hoodness in Miami and smashing the Kansas City scene when they come back. Any show in between that we can jump on; hit us up to your spot.

NAB: Where can supporter, fans and people in general stay connected with you guys and your music?

CI: Go to reverbnation.com under the arties put in Criminal Intent and listen up. On Facebook Diabolicle’s user name is Hanokh Yhwh, Major Capone on Facebook is Alphonzo Washington we prefer people to use the reverbnation and become fans so we can get our status up. And be our friends on facebook.


WRITTEN BY : GSTEAM843
COURTESY OF ELEGANT HOODNESS MUSICAL PROGRAM 2011'

No comments:

Post a Comment