Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Because…‘Pimp Said So

I am unsure if you've been paying attention as of late but music is stepping back into a golden age as a whole. As with anything there are notable exceptions but we are speaking generally.

In so much as I appreciate each region for its sound as well as its contributions to music I am biased for the sounds of the South. There is a certain something in our sound that cannot be matched in my opinion. But in the South (as with any area) we have our ideals and our artists to look up to. Here in the South we are influenced by hip-hop greats such as OutKast, Goodie Mob, Geto Boyz, and UGK to name a few.

With that in mind I have heard some strong tapes from the South.

iBeast can be counted in this number.



I had been reading about the project, entitled Pimp Said So: The 1st Supper, on Facebook. My curiosity was piqued and I listened to a track that he posted. The track was “Show And Prove”.  Off the strength of that one track I gave the mixtape a listen.

He [iBeast] sounds so much like the epitome of Southern hip-hop. In his voice I heard twangs and slivers of Bun B and Pimp C. With each verse I felt in my soul as if I were listening to Ridin’ Dirty or Soul Food for the first time.

What I heard is another heir to the legacy of the South.

Sounds hard to believe, right?

Allow me to tell you about some of the songs that make me such a believer.

Come Correct” is quite an amazing track. It gives me a soulful sort of old school R & B feel mixed with jazzy undertones. The sample reminds me of Friday nights in blood bucket juke joints and fish fries. As with the entire project he [iBeast] gives beautiful hip-hop. This track features equally inspired verses from Steve Cantrell and Chris Williams (now known as Kamikaze Hendrix), another personal favorite of mine.

Cardiac” is probably my favorite track. The words of Pimp C bless the intro of this song along with a smooth sort of beat. It’s mellow and almost introspective in its nature. As soon as the verse picks up I find myself taken away by the art in the storytelling of this track. This song is that obligatory song that makes your head nod slowly as you’re vibing to the sounds. There are great punch lines and a feature by Fame. Fame’s verse plays like a perfect punctuation to an amazing tale.

Failproof” has a decidedly chopped and screwed feel or rather the feel that it would sound just as outstanding chopped up and screwed up. “Failproof” is a thoughtful track that has a good message: no one is beyond failure. The message is added to throughout the track. iBeast elucidates upon the idea that failure isn’t necessary a bad thing but rather a chance to learn something. This sentiment is something I think we can all relate to. 

Also check out: “3 Titans”, “Happy Place”, and “Suicide”.

There was a time that seems a long time gone when I worried about the fate of Southern music. It was during the genesis of hip-hop dances, tight jeans, and dumb ass haircuts and colors. We haven’t moved beyond it fully but we’re going back to the music that made me fall in love. There are many people to thank for that.

Big K.R.I.T. comes to mind.

J. Cole as well.

It pleases me to say that I can include iBeast in that cadre.

Why?

Because Pimp said so.


written by Lucius Black for Royalty Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment