Thursday, November 8, 2012

Interview w/ Knowledge Bones (Ear Hustlin') Stand Up or Fall Back Issue

Royalty Magazine: What's good? How's life treating you? Well 2012 crept in, out and is dam near gone! What are some of your greatest accomplishments or memories from this year?

KB: Sup Dard life is good right now from family to work and well most things in between.  Nothing is perfect but im feelin good!  I dropped my album “Eyes on the Prize” in May this year (finally) after all the delays and dramas with the label.  I just took matters into my own hands, took control and got it out there on a no budget advertising campaign.  Its been hard, but I got enough buzz , sold enough CD’s and had enough itunes sales to keep it moving.

Royalty Magazine: What can we expect to hear or see from you in 2013? Any upcoming projects or tracks should we be checking for? What projects are you working on now?

KB: I've got a few things in the works...I don't want to leak too much right now, but I got a new solo project and collab project with a mutual friend of ours (Taz) so gonna bring an international flava.
Plus I will be incorporating my aboriginal culture and stories in the new album.

Royalty Magazine: If you had a chance to appear in the BET Cypha, what artists would you team up with? What beat would you want to rock to?

KB: That would be boss to rock it!  Here's my specs...my team members would be Reks, Joell Ortiz, Celph Titled, Dow Jonez & Plan B (UK) and the beat would be Slaughterhouse – Fight Club (some of my favorite emcees right there).

Royalty Magazine: Which era of music (past or present) has affected you or impacted you most as an artist? Please elaborate.

KB: I’ll just stick to Hip Hop for this question.  I grew up on N.W.A, Snoop Dogg, 2pac, DPG, Spice-1, Mac Dre, MC Eiht, Nate Dogg, DJ Quik to name a few.  I got suspended from 6th grade for having Ice Cube’s – Bop Gun cassette in my bag.  The West Coast for me late 80’s - early-mid 90’s can't be touched! It's an era where I would act like Nate Dogg, wear bandanas like Kurupt, Chucks & Checks were all I wanted to wear, so the west coast attributed a lot to me as an artist.  As I hit late teens, the East Coast just drew me in!  Big-L, Big Pun, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, Blackmoon, Onyx, KRS, Wu-Tang, Redman, Erick Sermon, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Keith Murray (to name a few) were artists I listened to, so I've always had a mixture.  Over the years I've taken a liking to an array of artists at different times in their careers such as Dead Prez, Apathy, Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, Cuban Link, Celph Titled, Drake, Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Ludacris, Fabolous, etc.

An artist I admired so much and have to mention is Stack Bundles.  Sad loss for the game, Rest In Peace.

But right now I can't go past Slaughterhouse.  I've been a fan of all of 'em as solo artists (and as a group.... damn), also The Game, Em, Obie, Sticman & Lupe.

Royalty Magazine: How do you feel about the current state of hiphop? Are you familiar with the term hip-pop? Are you feeling hip-pop at all or do you think it has an impact on the watering down of hip-hop?

KB: I believe Hip Hop has been in a state of emergency for a bit now.  The rebuilding has been consistent,  but I would say that Hip Pop is watering down Hip Hop.  There used to be a time when commercial Hip Hop had a certain flava and to say the least you could tell where it came from (West/East/South/Mid-West).  Now commercial Hip Hop is stuck with Hip Pop because its hard to differentiate between the sounds regardless of the artist.  It's sad to hear and see what is happening!  I personally am one for expanding my horizons as an artist and living my dream, but not to the point where I'm not even recognized as a Hip Hop artist.  I know money makes the world go round, but somethings gotta give!  Let's be real...what message is being sent to the youth?  Pop champagne, falsify having a good life as a kid to talk about the struggle that they never lived, weak choruses on every song (sing along for a couple maybe but every track? lets be real).  More rappers need to be Lupe than Flo-Rida is all I'm sayin.

Royalty Magazine: Being from Australia, can you tell us how the hiphop scene is over there? How would you say the music culture differs from your country vs the US? Is it easily embraced? Who are some artists from your area that we should be checking for?

KB: Underground Hip Hop is highly regarded in Oz.  It’s a hard market to crack over here because most of the scene is very cliquey and diversity is not real huge.  A lot of the artists sound similar and have a similar sound but Oz Hip Hop is still growing.  In regards to the difference to the US, there isn’t as many different styles. A lot of the artists seem to have the same or similar influences.  The accent is a huge thing over here (“rap how you speak”) and you still have a lot of Aussie Emcees that put on the American accent.  I'm not against it though, do you and I will do me!  

As for artists to peep...well me Knowledge Bones (haha).  Up and coming artists to check for: a Surrel from Melbourne, Streetz from Adelaide (he is apart of The Evans Administration, which is Juice’s label).  As for the biggest names they are: Hilltop Hoods, Bliss & Eso, 360 & Drapht to name a few, but the time has occurred where the artists mentioned have gone for the more harmonized sing a long rapping opposed to traditional spitting (to each his own I say).

Royalty Magazine: From losing great entertainers to police brutality to reality show obsessions to ppl living unrealistic lives, things in the US are crazy right now! How would you compare what is happening over here to what is happening in your country? Is it similar or different? How do you feel about the Trayvon Martin shooting?

KB: Fuck reality TV!  A couple of shows are cool but every one wants to be in on it.  Our kids need reality like go outside & talk to the kids up the street, play ball, ride a bike, skate till the street lights come on, then go home and interact with your family.  Wrong messages are being sent with a majority of reality TV.

The Trayvon Martin shooting was very sad and unprovoked, the kid was walking  “too calm” considering the weather conditions.  I believe one of the comments that was made was to why suspicion was aroused?  He was a 17 year old kid...is he not allowed to enjoy the rain?  He was murdered for no reason!  Racial profiling is definitely a factor!  Second degree murder?  How is that even considered? Capital Punishment is legal in Florida?  Yeah well a 17 year old kid has had his life taken.  I think Zimmerman should be considered for Death Row!  The legal system in America is in need of a very big tune up and reassessment.


Police in Australia are trying to make every one a criminal with a new string of laws called “Association Laws”.  Association laws are against Outlaw Bikie gangs and any other organized groups.  The funny thing is the law itself makes no reference to Bikie's, it refers to any Group, Association & Club.  The hidden thing here is it actually affects the Rifle Association, Sporting Clubs, Religious Groups and any one with a pending criminal case or charge (regardless of the severity) is made to be out casted by any one else in the group, club or association.  And if they do have any form of contact with them they will be charged and the same will continue.  Most people aren’t reading the fine print because it's just a bully tactic that is being strung thru the media.  Most states haven’t initiated the law and I hope it stays that way!  It's an invasion of privacy and the cops are abusing their power in the process to prove a point.


Royalty Magazine: How do you feel communities like Royalty Magazine & Street Thoughts help artist gain exposure? How will you as an artist benefit? How will you continue to broadcast your message to the world?

KB: Royalty Magazine & Street Thoughts give opportunity where else opportunity would not exist!  Me having an interview is a prime example of that.  I'm a local emcee from Perth City, Western Australia with minimal National recognition and now I have the chance to have worldwide exposure.

I will never stop with my music and will continue to spread my message through any means necessary.


Royalty Magazine: Any last words, comments or shout outs? Anything you want to touch basis on that we haven't already?

KB: Its been a pleasure!  Keep an eye out for the wonder from down under with new tracks coming out soon, working on the new album and I'm always active.

Big shout to my wifey & kids Jacqui, Jayda & Derell, my biggest fan my Mum, all my fam in Oz, my boys for being there always, Beni BJAH, Boya Kane, Chile Chillz, G3MZ, BigSkilly, James Wade, Dead Prez, Streetz Nettle...much love Tazzy for reaching out to an old friend.

Royalty Magazine: How can people keep up with you and/or check out your music? What sites or radio stations can people catch you on?

KB: My album “Eyes on the Prize” is available on iTunes.www.knowledgebones.com
www.soundcloud.com/knowledgebones
www.twitter.com/_knowledgebones
www.facebook.com/knowledgebones

Check out my clips on youtube
 “Knowledge Bones feat Dead Prez – Two Flags” clip shot by James Wade,
 “Knowledge Bones feat N’fa Jones – Listen Closely”  clip shot by Nic McRobbie


Peace….Yeah Dard.

Royalty Magazine: Much Love & Respect.


Interview Courtesy of @TazDatMC for @RoyaltyMagazine

No comments:

Post a Comment