Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A ‘Kid With Raps’ (Stand Up or Fall Back Issue)

I remember that I recently reviewed Ginette Claudette’s mixtape. Before I had ever fallen in love with it I notice that it was a re-release. To me this meant that the mixtape was so good that they felt the need to release it a second time. I find myself thinking the same when I read two words together: deluxe edition.

This is what made me look at Calez (@TheKidCalez) and his mixtape for the first time. The title, Kid With Raps, sounds something like a challenge to the listener. Maybe it was an admonition to those eventual and current detractors out there. Whatever the case may be I listened to it.

I was pleasantly surprised.

As a fanatic and a connoisseur of good hip-hop samples I firstly appreciated “Hello”. It was not only because of the smooth delivery and the timbre behind his delivery. Another part of it was that it is always nice to hear a good Isley Brothers sample, in this case “Hello, It's Me”. I have heard T.I. and a few others use the track and this one counts amongst my favorite interpretations.

Plenty Of Love” gives the vibe of a beautiful love song akin to Lupe Fiasco’s “Sunshine”. It’s high praise but it seems to fit given the theme. As far as my mind can figure intelligently this one is about a young man falling in love with many things, whether it be hip-hop, a girl, or the fans. If I’m mistaken, I apologize. Although if I’m not I applaud the ingenuity behind the concept here.

You remember that show Sanford and Son? Yeah, me too. That’s the feeling I get when I hear the first few notes of “Intermission”. After that it sounds like something else entirely, something that hits your ears hard but well. His eloquence is on full display on this one. It can be seen in every word, line, and verse. You can’t say that for a lot of rappers these days.

Hot Box Special” is the obligatory song about marijuana. As with any song of the like it’s catchy and makes you feel the urge to smoke should you be so inclined or so affiliated. Being that I’m not all I get is a good song to nod my head to.

A lot of times album titles are blatant lies. For example, The Massacre or The Last Temptation. This one, not so much.


*Review Courtesy of Lucius Black for @RoyaltyMagazine

No comments:

Post a Comment