Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wordsworth (Ear Hustlin') Summer Grind Issue 2012

Royalty Magazine: So what's good with you? How has the first half of the year been treating you? What are your plans for the second half?


Wordsworth: I'm great, just came off of a European Tour. So far 2012 been real cool, a lot of support from people for the new project The Photo Album. The rest of the year I plan to tour more and promote as much as possible.

Royalty Magazine: What projects are you currently working on now?  What songs or projects should we be checking for?  Any upcoming shows or performances we should know about?

Wordsworth: I'm working on a collaboration album with a producer named Skeematics. Right now everyone should purchase The Photo Album, I got a video out there called "Coloring Book" featuring Meleni Smith produced by The Are. Working on booking the next tour as we speak, but to keep up just follow me on twitter @WordsworthEMC or Facebook.com/wordsworth1.
Royalty Magazine: That's wassup! I like the concept you have going on with the "Photo Album" and the Coloring Book is a dope video as well.  If you had a chance to spit in the BET cypha, what team of artists would you spit with & why? What beat would you rock to?  Also, if you could perform your favorite artist's music at the VH1 Honors, which artist would you want to honor?  What song would you want to perform?

Wordsworth: I'd spit with Elzhi, Kool G Rap, Invincible, Masta Ace, Punchline, and Stricklin. I believe all of those people are elite in what they do. And the last three are my crew EMC.
Royalty Magazine: YMCMB is snatching up everybody right now. How do you feel about their artist selections and business ethics? If given the opportunity would you sign with YMCMB? Why or why not?

Wordsworth: I dig YMCMB, its a diverse roster. You got cats that grinded their way to get on, can't hate on that. Yeah if they dug what I do and we agreed on what my vision was and how to fulfill it.

Royalty Magazine: Speaking of YMCMB, there was alot of controversy behind Nicki Minaj being pulled from Hot 97's Summer Jam Tour.  Hot 97's DJ Peter Rosenburg ridiculed Nicki's single "Starships" and basically said it wasn't real hiphop...how do you feel about how things went down?  In your opinion is "Starships" real hip-hop?  Why or why not?  If not, what artist(s) would you say brings that real hip-hop to the table (everytime)?

Wordsworth: It's hip-hop but with more commercial appeal. My kids love that song when I'm driving. What people may consider the real hip-hop I dig too, but it's not what's enjoyed by everyone. I'll play some joints I dig for my kids but when they go to school "Starships" is what their friends know.
Royalty Magazine: That is fair.  I can dig what you saying.  Are you familiar with the term hip-pop? Are you feeling it at all or do you feel it's watering down the true elements of hip-hop?

Wordsworth: I feel like this, "just make music that you feel". Don't try to be too intentional because then you try too hard and fail. I dig when people put a mixture of joints on the album Biggie was a master at that. You got other artists as well that know how to combine it respectfully.

Royalty Magazine: True that!  Continuing on hip-hop, take us back to the moment you fell in love with it. What motivated you to pick up the mic? What pushed you to keep trying?

Wordsworth: I used to watch my older cousin rapping outside banging on car hoods making beats freestyling. That motivated me as well as making sure I had something dope to say, which i learned from ciphers.

Royalty Magazine: Which era of music (past or present) has had the most impact or affect on you as an artist?  Please elaborate.

Wordsworth: I would say the mid 90's because it was less but more. The quality outweighed the quantity. The standard was higher and which is why a lot of those artist even today are called the best.

Royalty Magazine: True! 90's hiphop is def in a league of its own.  What are some do's & don't's you have learned throughout your career? Any advice to upcoming artists?

Wordsworth: Do get get your publishing setup, Don't say yeah I gotta take care of that next week, no procrastination. Do go to open mics and get your stage presence up, Don't jump on stage with a hundred people. Up and coming just listen to whats out and practice before you post everything up on Youtube and online.
Royalty Magazine: Good advice.  Any last words, comments or shout outs? Anything you want to touch basis on that we already haven't?

Wordsworth: Thank you for the interview. The Photo Album is out now available on Itunes, amazon, Fatbeats.com, Ughh.com and mad other spots.
Royalty Magazine: How can people keep up with you and/or check out your music?

Wordsworth: Follow me on twitter @WordsworthEMC and on Facebook.com/wordsworth1. For features and shows TheRealWordsworth@gmail.com

Royalty Magazine: Thanks...much love & respect.

Wordsworth: Same to you.


Check out Wordsworth video "The Coloring Book" featuring Meleni Smith




Interview courtesy of Tazzy for Royalty Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment