Tuesday, July 10, 2012

SK (Ear Hustlin') Summer Grind Issue 2012


Royalty Magazine: What's good? How's 2012 been treating you so far?

SK: 2012 has been pretty decent for me. I’ve been very productive this year.

Royalty Magazine: That's wassup! Well half the year is already gone, what are your goals or plans for the second half of the year? What upcoming projects or tracks should we be checking for?
SK: Well I have another mixtape entitled “The Element Of Fire”. I plan on releasing that in August or September…I’m not quite sure which month, but it may be looking like September so people have something to vibe out to during the school year. I also have one of my artist’s starting on his mixtape entitled “Get Right”.
In a nutshell, my plans for the next half of this year is to keep my team extremely busy and aim to get myself as well as my team (Flii High) more exposure in the music aspect.
Royalty Magazine: How do you feel about the current state of hip-hop? How would you compare your music to the world of hip-hop today?  Also, do you consider yourself an emcee or a rapper?  Do you think there is a difference between the two?  Please elaborate.
SK: Hip-Hop has definitely changed, but that goes with everything in life. Life is about change and hip-hop is a lifestyle. Nothing ever stays the same so of course the current state of hip-hop is much more different…especially in the area of how music is distributed nowadays. Music is much more technology driven nowadays.
I compare my music to hip-hop today by the lyrical content and stories that I give. To me, hip-hop was based on lyrical content as well as the images that the artist can portray to the listener; and I do just that. With all my music, you can close your eyes and paint a picture with the things that I say.
I consider myself to my more of an emcee as opposed to a rapper. In my opinion, I feel that there is a huge difference between the two. When you look at the word emcee or “MC” as some people may say, the definition to that almost anyone will tell you is that it means “Master of Ceremonies”. If you’re a master of ceremonies, you have to be able to do more than just rap. You have to play to the crowd that you’re performing for and keep them entertained. When you’re just considered a rapper, all you do is spit bars and try to amaze people with the things that you say. When you’re considered an emcee, you’re amazing people with an all around presence. Your bars have to be tight, your performance has to be tight…everything has to be tight so you’re amazing all around in the eyes of the crowd that you’re performing for. 
Royalty Magazine: That's wassup!  I like how you put that.  Speaking of the current state of hip-hop, are you familiar with the term hip-pop? Are you feeling hip-pop at all or do you think it has an impact on the watering down of hip-hop?
SK: I’m familiar with the term hip-hop, but I’m aware that it has changed like I said before. Hip-hop isn’t the same as it was when it first started. I feel that people took the word “hip-hop” and stretched it out, so now people might consider different things hip-hop now. We went from true hip-hop moguls like Run DMC and Wu-Tang, to people that sing bullshit songs and make a dance routine for that song. I’m not throwing shade to anyone that does that. Shout out to anyone that’s paving their way into hip-hop the only way they know how; but I can’t lie…hip-hop isn’t as sweet as it was when it first started.  I guess a cup or two of water was added in the mix, but hey that’s what change does.
Royalty Magazine: How do you feel about the controversy behind Chris Brown & Drake? Do you think it went down like the media is reporting it did? If so, what message do you think that it is sending to our young people? What do you think its saying about the industry in general and/or the mentatlity of the people involved?
SK: I can’t speak too much on the Chris Brown & Drake situation. I honestly don’t think that anyone can speak on that situation except for Chris Brown & Drake; but I feel that they’re old enough to have used their words instead of resort to violence, because at the end of the day they’re both public figures in the world of music.  If the people that look up to them see that they’re fighting, they may just think that it’s okay to fight with their fists and not their words, and that shouldn’t be…especially since the young people are the future of tomorrow, you know?
Royalty Magazine: I can dig it!  If you had a chance to appear in the BET Cypha, what artists would you team up with? What beat would you rock to?
SK: I would love to team up with Jadakiss, Tyga, Beanie Sigel, Method Man, and of course New Jersey’s own Joe Budden and Redman. This list could go so much longer but those would be major artists I would love to have a cypha with. As far as the beat goes, it really doesn’t matter to me. You can give me any beat and I’ll bend it; but if I had to choose two beats between old school and new school…I would choose “Banned From TV” or ‘Shook Ones” for the old school, and maybe just about anything for new school.
Royalty Magazine: Any last words, comments or shot outs? Anything you want to touch basis on that we haven't already?
SK: I go by the name Almighty SK aka SK “The Real Chill” aka SK thee MC...not the gun. Shout out to my camp Flii High. Flii High be the team so don’t forget it. Shout out to DJ Krakk. Shout out to my artist/protégé Tuda-G. Shout out to all my fans, supporters, haters, and last but not least my hood… Paterson, NJ. I wouldn’t be who I am without being where I’m from. Don’t forget to look out for my next mixtape coming soon entitled “The Element Of Fire”.
Royalty Magazine: How can people keep up with you and/or check out your music? What sites or radio stations can people catch you on?

SK: Check me out on facebook: Sam SK TheRealChill Adeyinka

Follow me on twitter: @iPoke_Her_Face2


Royalty Magazine: Lol @ your twitter name "I Poke Her Face".  I will leave it at that...lol...Thanks for the interview, much love & respect.

SK: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to have this interview. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Interview courtesy of Tazzy for Royalty Magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment