Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Who Is…Israel Cruz? (Summer Grind Issue 2012)

The search for good music continues, ladies and gentlemen.

In the pursuits of good music and new artists you often stumble upon someone or something new. I find that I do this more and more to increasingly good results. Through this I have discovered Big K.R.I.T., Bobby Creekwater, 2 Chainz, Cyhi Da Prynce, and more recently The Weeknd.

Each and every one of them offered me something wonderful to listen to. Being that I have referenced them often there is no real need for me to further elaborate in that respect.

Another new name popped out at me.

It happened while I was doing a bit of research on Young Money Entertainment. The name stuck out and I was wholly intrigued to learn more.

The name?

Israel Cruz.

Israel Cruz is an Australian singer-songwriter and record producer. Cruz was born in Quezon City, Philippines. At the age of thirteen he moved to Melbourne, Australia with his family. As it currently stands he lives in Sydney, Australia with friends. He has written and performed with Australian singer Stan Walker.

Cruz has been active since about 2003 and has released two albums through Nufirm Records. The first, Chapter One, was released on September 2, 2005. The second, a project called The Legacy, was released on July 3, 2009.

His songwriting credits include the following artists:

  • Elen Levon
  • Jessica Mauboy
  • Ricki-Lee Coulter
  • Stan Walker
  • Scarlett Belle
  • Tinchy Stryder


The songs that he’s written and/or co-written with each artist was in most cases produced (or co-produced) by Cruz as well.

In addition to this, he has been nominated for a few awards overseas. These include winning at the Urban Music Awards Australia and New Zealand 2007, winning Best R & B Single.

After reading his credits and seeing a bit of his talent I can see Young Money Entertainment’s interest in Cruz. My personal opinion is that adding a guy like him to their roster can only lead to good things. Plus there is an interesting aspect to the particular fact that Israel Cruz is Australian. I’m curious to hear what he sounds like. I must listen to something from him and soon.  Often artists are signed to a label (or an imprint) and are misused or forgotten in lieu of many other things. Just based on the credentials I have to hope that Israel Cruz does not fall into that category.

I see good things coming from him. Really good things. 


Courtesy of Lucius Black for Royalty Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment