Monday, April 16, 2012

The Showcase (Spring Ahead Issue) 2012

And this months light shines on....






DubFromVA




Royalty Magazine: Whut it do?  How has 2012 been treating you thus far?


DubFromVA: What's poppin? I'm feelin' good, hopefully continue to live better. The New Year has been dope so far. I have shows lined up all over the map. I have been meeting people that can make a difference in my life and future in the music business. I can't complain. Been blessed. 


Royalty Magazine: That's what's up!  Tell us what do you plan to do differently this year than you did last year?  
   
DubFromVA: I spent the last few years building my brand. I'm from the DMV[DC,MD,VA] no doubt. You can tell by my name where I'm from, but what most people don't know is that I get it in on the road. I put in time in Atlanta and New Jersey, New York and got plans for Philadelphia and wherever else my talents are requested. Same game plan, different states. Haven't heard nothing but good feedback no matter whever I go, so it's love.

I think I want to show my peoples, my family, my crew, the squad, the NUPES what I have been up to.  Every rapper goes through that "o so you wanna rap" type of vibe from their peers and I want to turn more of the people I know into believers.
With that said, my plans for 2012 is more pics and video. I want to show my hard work, that way I'm not just talkin bout' it, they can see me and hear me bein' bout it.


Royalty Magazine:  I can dig it!  How will your broadcast your message or music to the world?


 DubFromVA: I will broadcast myself by working with my team of promoters who can help me get my music and the current project, THE ROUGH DRAFT mixtape in the hands of people who love good music.
I sell my CD's on the streets, at shows and even sometimes give them away..im that hungry. I call it an investment in myself.


Can't lie, I also get help from word of mouth, from the people who believe in what I'm doing. My squad keeps me grounded but also share my music.


Besides that, I work heavy out of my ReverbNation Page and use social marketing also, like Facebook and Twitter. [www.reverbnation.com/dubfromva] The net and live shows paired together keep me on my grind. I want people to meet me, or see me in they city doin' me and showin' love, and say "I smoked wit Dub way back at club ____" or "I seen him live".
To me you get embraced more in your home town AND out of town, because they know you've earned your stripes. That's what the whole point of me taking my show on the road. I wanted to broadcast my music live, and touch as many people as I could, so if and when they see me make it, they know it just didn't happen over night.


Royalty Magazine: That's real.  Keep grinding hard my nig!  How do you feel about the current state of hiphop & what are some of your predictions for 2012?  


DubFromVA: I feel like the state of hip hop is improving but it's seen some recent lows. And I'm not just saying that because of record sales, I'm saying that because of the content of the songs I hear that are making it. I'm not a old head, but I do know music. Not everyone has the LIFE, but that's the formula that some people are following, because that's all they hear from their idols. In my opinion, there is almost a missing connection between the artists and the fans and listeners.

I hear it everyday, people saying they just can't relate to what's out. The struggle is more appealing than people think. Kinda like reality tv, people feel more connected to people going through the same things as them. Just a fact, least it's a fact for me.


Royalty Magazine: Who's hot?  


DubFromVA:  I keep the hometown man Wale, Meek Mill, 2 Chainz, Lloyd Banks, TI, Jadakiss, Bun B and a racka'  of DMV MC's like DoeCigapom Money Hungry Music..(people I came up with) in my cd player and ipod on heavy rotation.


I have a few features that you might not have heard of that are dope, but those are my kept secrets...saving them for the album. haha


Royalty Magazine: Lol...Who's not?


DubFromVA: Different strokes for different folks. I'm not the "Rap Commissioner." What one person doesn't like, could really be poppin to a whole lot of people. I don't think I can comment on who is not hot, I like who I like, and just try my best to not be added to someone's list of shit they don't fuck wit'.


I just hate it when someone who obviously doesn't have the skills, makes it to the top. Miss me with that.


Royalty MagazineTrue that.  Speaking of hiphop...Eminem has paved the way for dope white rappers all around the world.  In your opinion, who got next?  Yelawolf, Machine Gun Kelly or Mac Miller? Who's doper and why?



DubFromVA:  All 3 of them are in positions that I am trying to reach and exceed, so no hate over here young'.


If you ask me,Yelawolf got next. He definitely has a style and delivery that nobody else can say they have. I seen him on BET's Award Show cipher twice holdin his own. Plus he's linked up with a powerful team, and is surrounded by vets. I think ya man has the opportunity to make some dope music.


Mac Miller is cool. I seen his flow on the XXL Freshman jon' way back and my lil cousin's stay tryna put me onto him.Wish him the best of luck.


Haven't heard much of Machine Gun Kelley's music, but I'm sure if he's signed to Bad Boy, he's got skills.


Royalty Magazine: You recently won the "Hottest track in the Streetz"countdown contest on Streetz Radio and took home the title for "Hottest track of 2011", how does it make you feel to have won?  


DubFromVA: Shout out to Streetz Radio for the look. Definitely a good look any time you get positive vibes from yall, because I know yall rep more cities than you mention and have listeners from all over. I was ciced when I heard that a track I had a part of made Song of the Year on anybody's list. I think I was In West Orange, New Jersey when I heard we were in the running, and rolled up to celebrate. hahah


But on a more serious note, it has made me even more determined to make and create more music people can feel and bump in their free time.


Royalty Magazine: What has been your fan response?


DubFromVA:  I don't call my fans "Fans", because I actually know them. Like I have their phone numbers in my phone.. I rather call em "THE SQUAD".
But really, once I told them where to go to vote, they supported me and the homies DIM DUDEZ track GENERATIONAL MADNESS and the rest is history.  Some people that I've connected with don't have internet connections, but still went to the library or to they're man's crib to vote. That's LOVE


RoyaltyMagazine: The track that won is entitled "Generational Madness"...what was the concept and inspiration behind that track?



DubFromVA: Generational Madness was made with DIM DUDES, a two man crew that live in ATL, GA. We came up on a dope instrumental from Europe, by IllSkillz (yes overseas). The concept of the song is seen from 3 different points of view & 3 different age groups. The struggles, the truimphs, and how we cope with our thoughts. We knew it wasn't going to be labeled "HARD", but it would be hip-hop, and powerful at the least.


 I personally was up first on the track and tried to go in as lyrical as I could, but not so much to lose people who aren't into lyrics, like I am. If you close your eyes, I think you can picture exactly what each of us are saying.


RM: What exactly is "Generational Madness from your perspective"?


DubFromVA: Generational Madness is something that people from different walks of life need to acknowledge. For example,  [I could talk about this all day... but I'm no professor].. but people express themselves and behave based on what they live through and see with their own eyes. We don't all live the same lives, some people are rich, while others are less fortunate and live through trying to survive, some see the dope game, or some live and see the fast life and much more.

But you also got people who live in the burbs that have their own struggles, family treachery,financial obligations, life expectations they can't keep etc... 
I think it's the job of MC's to let it out, to help bridge the gap and make people understand different generations, their priorities and what's important to them...Bottom line is, we all want to WIN but take different roads to get to that destination.


RM:  You are still in the top two spot in the countdown, how will you get your fans to continue to vote for you every week?  What do you want to say to those that don't know you and why should they vote for your track to be the hottest in the Streetz?

DubFromVA:  It's a honor to still hold the top spot in the countdown. Every show I go to, I shout out different sites that play my music and that helps drive traffic and gain support. I also blast it out through emails, Twitter [when I log on] and Facebook. The people that support me take it from there.


To those that don't know me...get to know me. I represent a three state squad we call the D.M.V. That's DC,MD,VA. We got next, so let's make good music and gain fans from each other. I collab in my sleep and do shows when I wake up...


You should vote for my track to be the hottest in the streetz because it was made to appeal to all age groups, little something for everyone.If you smoke, we got you, if you are conscious, DIM DUDEZ got you.  But like always, just in case you don't like that, I got plenty more. Google DUBfroMVA, My mission is to win you over.


RM: What do you want to say to the other artists in countdown?  


DubFromVA: I wish you success and hope you feel what I have to say and the music that I make. I know we might not be from the same hood, but you can meet me through my music. Reach out. Enough said.


RM:  Any tracks you feeling?  Any predictions?


DubFromVA: I got ears for all music.I hate making predictions, because I hate when I'm wrong.


RM:  Do you feel that TazDatMC & the Street Thoughts Community have increased your network or helped you gain exposure?  If so, what are some benefits of being featured in magazine's like "Royalty" and on stations such as "Streetz Radio"?


DubFromVA: I'd like to personally thank Taz, Street Thoughts, Streetz Radio and Royalty Magazine. The exposure that I have gotten from your support is limitless. People listen in on your show from all over the map, and different walks of life.Good Music Needs Good Company, and yall some good people to know.


Streetz Radio, Street Thoughts and Royalty Magazine have helped people see the proof in the pudding for DUBfromVA. They give you constant mentions on Twitter and Facebook and can help you put your city on and promote your music.


I get texts everyday from people saying they have seen me online, or they retweet on Twitter and click "like" and leave comments on Facebook. It's BUZZ and it's good BUZZ , which is so necessary.

Magazines will never die. People take them in the cabs, on the plane, read em' at stop lights, read them at lunch and even let people borrow them. Royalty Magazine is putting me on the forefront of exactly what a artist like myself needs: exposure, exposure, exposure. RESPECT from me and my team we call the DMV.


 Proof: it's not where you from, it's where you at, and what you do with what you got. Straight up.
 
RM: Real talk...much respect!  Any advice to upcoming artists or those that lack a support group to their movement?


DubFromVA: You got to stay consistent and keep it quality over quanityI have learned, if you are bout' this life, it's a constant grind that at times will feel like it will never happen. Long as you stay focused, just know, at the same moment you are ready to give up, something good will happen and change your mind. Man, just stick to what you know and what you are known for, and only make changes you are comfortable with as you grow. Can't go wrong with that.


RM: How can peepz check out your music?  Follow you on twitter?


DubFromVA:  Check for show schedules, exclusive music and more: www.reverbnation.com/dubfromva 
click Like, Become a Fan or join my mailing list so you can get it before anyone else["NO SPAM JUST MUSIC"]:


Twitter: @DUBfromVA
YouTube: Search: DUBfromVA

RM: Any last words/comments/shot outs?


DubFromVA: Shout out to my DMV Familia ..That's DC, MD,VA. If you are from their, you know you do business, get your groove on, get money, go to work or hustle in all 3 at some point or another.(think about it)***Special shout out to Virginia Tech University and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc.  [we will never forget 4.16.07]


Gotta show love to VA, Alexandria, The Highway, Route 1,Ashburn, New Jersey and the NEW YORK GIANTS, K-100 radio, World Pramyre and my family down in ATL,Loop Lounge Baltimore,Veiga Entertainment and Tight Net Radio, B. Twan,The Island Cafe & Money Hungry Music, Loso, S Aitch, S.Dot and P.M.P Records, Depth Charge Studios, Listen Vision Studios, Trill Talk Radio,Cochise Hill, HP and Trump from ATL, and whoever out there thinks they my girlfriend...


Thanks for the interview!  It was a pleasure to work with you and I hope we can continue to grind together!

Interview courtesy of Tazzy from Royalty Magazine.

QDS of Dim Dudez


Royalty Magazine:  Whut it do?  How has 2012 been treating you thus far?


QDS: The New Year has been outstanding! Can't complain a bit, real refreshing ya know?

Royalty Magazine:  I can dig it!  What do you plan to do differently this year than you did last year?

QDS: Well last year was more of a trial and statement year.  Ay-Shock, DoubleH, and myself wanted to see exactly how much we could accomplish as a independent entity on a musical level and brand. This year we are going to expand and spill over into other markets such as film, food, clothing, and other media.

RM:  That's wassup!  How will your broadcast your message or music to the world?

QDS: Well we have been working with producers world wide to create a unique collage of sound and style. Our music is universally versatile lol. But building repors with DJ's, artist, promoters, and journalist abroad I believe will help us project our music on let's say a Black Eye Peas level.

Royalty Magazine:  How do you feel about the current state of hiphop & what are some of your predictions for 2012?  Who's hot?  Who's not?


QDS: The question of all questions lol. Well to borrow from the mighty Mos Def(Yasiin) "People ask about hip hop like it's a giant living in the hills. We the people are hip hop so when you ask where's hip hop going, and how's it doing? Ask yourself where I'm going and how I'm doing?"-Black On Both Sides. HIP HOP(we) are doing fantastic!! Dim Dudez are hot and can't tell you who's not because most artist are only doing what they can as artist and someone's supporting, buying, and requesting them in some state, province, or region.

Royalty Magazine:  Speaking of hiphop...Eminem has paved the way for dope white rappers all around the world.  In your opinion, who got next?  Yelawolf, Machine Gun Kelly or Mac Miller?  Who's doper and why?


QDS: Whoa c'mon you know Yelawolf got it! Did you peep his album? He got flow, lyrics, character, and individual way of telling his story #salute

 Royalty Magazine:  True!  Yeah I been feeling Yelawolf every since the first time I heard him.  You recently won the "Hottest track in the Streetz" countdown contest on Streetz Radio and took home the title for the"Hottest track of 2011", how does it make you feel to have won?  What has been your fan response?

QDS: We are all honored I actually have an acceptance speech written down somewhere lol. Naw but it feels great and is another step forward in our progression as artist and individuals. Our fans are excited and anticipating Ore great news such as this.

Royalty Magazine:  The track that won is entitled "Generational Madness"...what was the concept and inspiration behind that track?  What exactly is "Generational Madness from your perspective"?


QDS: Well this track was inspired by the everyday working man, woman, provider, survivor, and victim of this grand experience we all call life. The concept was to give the listener a encouraging pep talk when times looked tough or they felt like their backs was against the wall. While also bringing awareness to the different brands and flavors of struggles and the people out here overcoming adversity. Generational Madness is a trickling germ/disease that's been past down from generation to generation. It could be hatred of a race or gender. A trend of legal issues, or a corny style or two that is having a negative effect on those who came before or coming after.

Royalty Magazine:  That's real...I like it!  You are still in the top spot in the countdown, how will you get your fans to continue to vote for you every week?

QDS: We meet new people everyday and I always share the work we are doing as independent artist. So keeping old fans and new fans in the know about songs we have out for  download and competition stay at the fore front of conversation.

Royalty Magazine:  What do you want to say to those that don't know you and why should they vote for your track to be the hottest in the Streetz?


QDS: Honestly we want you to vote not because we ask you but because you think it's the hottest. As an artist we all want and need the fans feedback. If they say it's hot I can exhale, if not we back in the lab with the bunsen burner and mixing beakers.

Royalty Magazine:  Word.  What do you want to say to the other artists in countdown?  Any tracks you feeling?  Any predictions?


QDS: Let's keep making hot music for the people and we always ready and willing to make some music collectively. I checked everybody joints out and I honestly don't have a favorite with the exception of ours lol. I jus know I need all these guys on my ipod.

Royalty Magazine:  Do you feel that TazDatMC & the Street Thoughts Community have increased your network or helped you gain exposure?  If so, what are some benefits of being featured in magazine's like "Royalty" and on stations such as "Streetz Radio"? 
  


QDS: Oh no doubt big ups to TazDatMC there's a lot of listeners here at streetzradio.com I have gotten hit up on twitter by a few people around the country given us props on such a dope track. We really appreciate it. We are greatly benefiting because you never know who is reading, watching, or listening to anything. The fact that we made ourselves accessible is great but without a platform (streetzradio) who knows what we could be missing out on.

Royalty Magazine:  Real talk.  And Streetz Radio needs artists such as yourself to keep the opportunities aliveAny advice to upcoming artists or those that lack a support group to their movement?


QDS: To Indy artist out there we know it's hard to get exposure and fans to back you but always remember when you wake up everyday you should be making it your business to gain 1 new fan.

Royalty Magazine:  How can peepz check out your music?  Follow you on twitter?

QDS: reverbernation.com/dimdudez dimdudez.com youtube: troofdotcom, guykotv, ikaican, masoford twitter: @AyShock and @QDS13

Royalty Magazine:  Any last words/comments/shot outs?

QDS: Thank you to all the listeners and avid HipHop fans. Shout out our families, supporters, fans, 330, Cypha, RDub, Extra, D-Quaid, Ron Haynie, Purnell Holloway, June Sky, DjCuttyRocstyle, CC, Ebony, Nia, Tamica, Beatmatikk, Tek Nalo G, Illskilz and last but not least TazDatMC!!!

Royalty Magazine: Much Love...

Interview courtesy of Tazzy from Royalty Magazine.





More Artists To Look Out For...






Fenway




Royalty Magazine: Whut's good Fen? How has 2012 been treating you so far?  Anything exciting or new popping off this year?  Upcoming tracks and/or projects? 
Fenway: 2012 has been an adventure just like the last few years of my life, but this is the year im definitely tryna make it happen. I'm actually working on a couple collaborations with 2 other artists that I've been forming a team with and a solo mixtape called "soul by the kilo". I was aiming for a fresh sound with smooth flows over nostalgic instrumentals with raw samples from the 70s and 80s..something smooth that you could pop in your car stereo and smoke out to.

My other project is with my boy J-stab ..we both grew up together and grew separetly as men and artists, so we are just getting back together to showcase that new raw material. The title of  the project we are working on is called Dramatic Battle (based off of the fighting game streetfighter alpha 3). Dramatic battle was a mode where you and your friend play co-op mode against one opponent for the whole game, We've been planning this project for some time now as a series.  We were going to use sound effects from classic familiar fighting games such as tekken and mortal kombat played over our most leathal flows. I'm quite excited about it! My other project is a collab with my other partner in crime Inflowential. Me and that dude have a whole other kind of chemistry going on.  Our chemistry is more on some party vibes have a good time ish ,but everything I do is looking to be very dynamic work. 
Royalty Magazine: That sounds hot!  I am looking forward to hearing those projects.  Take us back to the moment when you first fell in love with hiphop.  What was that feeling like?  What pushed you to take that first step with music?
Fenway: How could I ever forget that! I always loved hiphop being raised with 3 older brothers. They introduced me to the sounds of all the old school (Tribe, Cypress hill and Redman to name a few), but I didnt realize my love for hiphop untill i was a little older. I was just exposed to it riding in the back seat of the car. I didnt actually know what I was listening to, I just knew I liked it. 

I realized I was head over heels for hip hop when each hard time I had in life had direct theme music.  Back then I used it to get by the hard times. Those were those mixtapes I used to make on the old school tape deck  and have blasting in my walkman everywhere I went. At family gatherings, the ole heads used to cry and complain like I was being so rude even though they weren't talkin bout not a damn thing lol. What finally captured me was when I went back to my mothers house in the summer of 98 and found my brothers old Roots tape illadelph halflife. The nostalgia of those songs and finally knowing exactly what I was listening to had me hooked.

From there I did my research and the rest was history. It was like having the first love of my life before I even knew what loving a female was like. Since my brothers were older than me, I was always the oddball because kids my age were into the more commercial sounds like cashmoney and no limit.  I was the one with the old soul, listening to my roots and blackmoons and slum villages. Its almost like I could see the future, how the music I adored was going to end up. I wanted to hear that raw flow and talent, and I had to find other means to get the music i wanted. Eventually out of frustration, I adoped the motto "If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself" and began putting my craft together. After that came the Online forums and text battles. That competitive nature led me to start recording my stuff. 
Royalty Magazine: Speaking of recording...Tell us about the first time you recorded a track and heard yourself live during the playback.  What was that feeling like?  What was going through your mind at that very moment?
Fenway: It was simply history in the making. I felt like I was being recorded live in my own life documentary. My first recordings were very rough in qualty so it was a bit harder to take it serious by the standards of others...but getting into the real studio and hearing decent quality mixdowns of my vocals was surreal. I felt so alive! Theres nothing like the look on the peoples face after you stepped out of that sound booth. It was a treat for me, and whoever was there to share those moments. There is very little to nothing on this planet that gives me that feeling of being so alive. 
Royalty Magazine: I know exactly what you mean!  In your opinion, how has hiphop changed from when you first started till now?  Has it changed for the better or worse?  Where do you see music going over the next 5-10 years?
Fenway: Obviously the commercialization of hip hop is impossible not to notice. It's alot more dramatic and glamorous. When I first began rapping, the battle scene was huge and the large posses were definitely poppin. It was right before the recession so I feel like times were a bit less stressful. Now, not as much money is getting spread around, which forced people to have to get more creative to promote and stand above the everyday norm. Things have changed for the better and for the worse depending on which perspective you look from.

In todays world, it's pretty much up to you to put yourself out there. The indy scene has really blew up. I feel like things happen in cycles, and I see the comeback of real lyricists and classic hip hop. I'm aiming to be a front runner in this ressurection time period. It's what I've been training myself for my whole life. 
Royalty Magazine: How has the loss of Heavy D, Don Cornelius, Whitney Houston & countless others affected the industry?  How has it affected you, if any?
Fenway: The sad thing about that is it's a shame that it takes the death of a great talent for people to finally recognize what a loss that person was. Todays media is a big circus that uses death and controversy for rating, blowing things out of proportion for attention, which I think is truly sad. People have no concept of the phrase "Rest In Peace". I dont let these things affect me because the media desires you to care about it more than you should. I pay my respects and let the legends rest in peace. 
Royalty Magazine: I can dig it!  It's like why do they keep trying to dig up dirt on someone who  has passed on.  Just let them have their peaceIf you had one chance to change one thing about the industry, what would it be and why?
Fenway: I wouldnt. I love the beautiful struggle..it's what made me what I am today (striving to get ahead and make something of myself in this industry). It's a challenge, but it gives me purpose and will to keep pushing, which makes me better.  
Royalty Magazine: Who is Fenway feeling at the moment?  Who are some artists you are listening to right now?
Fenway: I'm definitly feeling Sean price, Currensy, Raekwon to name a few.  
Royalty Magazine: It's hard being an unsigned underground artist.  With no industry backing, lack of fame & fortune, what keeps you doing this?  What keeps you motivated to keep trying?
Fenway: The beautiful struggle has made me write some of the greatest work I have ever done. Against all odds, I always loved the story of the underdog that came out on top. My city isn't known for any rappers. I dream of that glorious day when Boston has that Philly and Detroit movement where we finally get that recognition. There is a caliber of artists from that region that the world hasnt been exposed to yet, and I feel i'm one of those guys. I just know that once everything is put together properly, people will have no choice but to listen and recognize who I am.  
Royalty Magazine: Well said...Where do you see yourself in the next 5-10 years?  What are your goals?  What will you be doing?
Fenway: I see myself putting together works of art.  I see myself getting better and giving the people what they want, need, and deserve. 
Royalty Magazine: Anything else you want to talk about that we haven't touched basis on?  Any last words, comments or shot outs?
Fenway: Of course big shout out to Taz and gemz. Its been a long time and them two watched me grow into the emcee I am today..it's really cool to stay in touch and feels good to know that the same people still believe and have an ear for you..thas much love! And I cant wait to take it to the next level just for people like them who gave me the feedback back in the day..that was part of how I became better.  
Royalty Magazine: Respect! How can people keep up with you and/or check out some of your music?
Fenway: Just check me out on soundcloud. I have a few rough draft things in the works but the real work will be coming out soon

Royalty Magazine: Thanks for your time fam!  Much love..
Fenway: No doubt u already!




Interview courtesy of Tazzy from Royalty Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment