Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ear Hustlin' (Spring Ahead Issue) 2012

Chillin' with Tazzy - the Chief Editor


Whut it do?  Make sure you check out my music as well as site.  I am working on some new heat that will be dropping summer 2012!  Spit Don't Swallow (the Mixtape)...coming soon...


www.tazdatmc.com/
www.Reverbnation.com/TazDatMC








Blackout Mode


This is a new section that I like to call Blackout Mode.  I will feature music, videos, etc from two of my favorite rappers "Redman" & "Methodman".  I will also show videos from their entourages and collaborative emcees.  I don't think they get the props or credit they deserve so with me being a fan & a media outlet to the underground, I am giving respect where respect is due!  If you have any videos or suggestions, holla at me on twitter @tazdatmc






Hiphop at its finest!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday Redman (April 17, 2012).













































Artifacts Interview



It's been almost 2 decades, but the streets of hip-hop have never forgot about one of Jersey's finest the "Artifacts".  With the release of their first album "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" back in 1994, their smash single "Wrong Side of the Tracks" has forever favored the hearts of fans worldwide.  Having the ability to flawlessly incorporate the 4 elements of hip-hop into their music, the Artifacts have proven why they are still relevant in todays music.  With two group albums under their belt, a die hard fan base & a 15 year separation, the Artifacts have reuinited and it sounds so good!

So what's popping with "Artifacts" members Tame One & El Da SenseiTazzy recently caught up with both artists for an exclusive interview.






Tame One


Royalty Magazine: What's good?  How has 2012 been treating you so far?


Tame One: 2012 has been good so far. Business-wize. A lot of lucrative opportunities have presented themselves.



Royalty Magazine: Tell us one thing that you will do different this year?  Differently from any other year before?


Tame One: I'm going to make a conscious effort to pay more attention socially.


Royalty Magazine: That's wassup!  Tell us about the name "Artifacts".  What does it mean to you and how did you come up with it?


Tame One: Just like its dictionary definition.  We feel as though we are true 'artifacts' from a past, more creative hiphop era to be observed by people today.Today's Hip Hop seems to be more commercialized, whereas we remain strongly influenced by HipHop's origins and most basic elements.


Royalty Magazine:  Well said...Can you take us back to the first time you picked up a mic and/or decided to take that first step with music...what was that feeling like?  What pushed you to want to take music seriously?


Tame One: Growing up, my mother danced a lot and my stepfather was a DJ and sang in a group,so music was always a factor in my household.  I'd heard park jams from the older kids in the area, but I didn't aspire to be an emcee until I was inspired by RUNDMC.


Royalty Magazine: Do you remember the first track or graffiti tag you ever did?  If so, tell us about that experience?  Was it hot or not?


Tame One: I don't recall my first track or my first tag..but I do remember my first attempt at a graffiti "piece". It was a dark royal blue 'Tame' with a thick black outline and silver highlights.  It was on the side of a neighbor's garage (and honestly it was a dark, sloppily filled-in mess with clumsy blocky letters, no arrows and bars n such, a simple old Bx.style of lettering.)


Royalty Magazine:  What are the four elements of hiphop?  Why is it important for upcoming emcees to know these elements as well as the history of hiphop?  


Tame One: MCing, DJing, BreakDancing, Graffiti..it should be common knowledge for anyone into HipHop as culture.  All of the elements are essentially based on creating something from nothing, making due with what you have and then taking it further (to creatively stand out via self-expression.)

Royalty Magazine: How did you get into graffiti art?  Are you still practicing the art today?  How do you implement graffiti art into your music?

Tame One:
I could always draw for as far back as I remember.  My mother worked in NYC back in the 80s & I saw the trains all bombed up and was instantly influenced enough to practice myself. I then saw certain names in Newark areas repeatedly, and grasped the concept of notoriety as well.  I've been doing graffiti for so long, its script is my regular penmanship. So to paraphrase MC Rakim.."I write a rhyme in graffiti and,everyshow you see me in, deep concentration, cuz I'm no comedian, jokers are wild if you wanna be tame..". (Yes..I write my rhymes in graffiti).


Royalty Magazine: Writing rhymes in graffiti is dope!  Speaking of rhymes...your single "Wrong side of Da tracks" is one of your most popular tracks to date.  Paying homage to graffiti art is a dope concept all in itself.  Besides being artists yourselves, what does the track mean to you?  What do you want the world to know about graffiti art?  

Tame One:
Simply that graffiti IS an art. A legitimate artform. With Wrong Side Of The Tracks we were paying homage..so much so in fact, I kept my graffiti alias "TameOne" as my MC/ stage name..(Also as a homage to KRS ONE who had done the same prior to our release.)


Royalty Magazine:  In starting from where you began to where you are at now, how has hiphop as well as graffiti changed from your perspective? Where do u see the culture going over the next 5-10 years?

Tame One:
I don't claim to be able to predict the future. Hiphop is infinite,the possibilities are endless.  Today's emcees are coming out younger and younger, technology is constantly growing and expanding, so production varies.  Honestly, there is no way to tell.


Royalty Magazine: I can dig it...The Artifacts are back together again, doing shows and going on tour...that's wassup!  What has your fan response been since you've reuinited?  Any misconceptions about when the group originally split up back in 1997 and/or anything you want to clear up?

Tame One:
Fan feedback has been positive all the way across the board. It feels as though we've been missed, and now that we're back in effect, we're filling a void. We've already destroyed the major misconception that we COULDN'T work together after all this time (10 yrs plus).


Royalty Magazine: That's wassup!  You've came along way since your first album "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" was released back in 1994...what can we expect to hear from you today?  What will the 2012 Artifacts bring to the world?

Tame One:
Expect to hear seasoned veterans, action packed production, lyrical wit,hidden messages, quality scratches, subtle concepts and definite self expression on both of our parts as well as whatever/whomever the production situation may be.


Royalty Magazine:  Tell us about some of your upcoming shows and/or tours.  What are some cities/dates that you will hit up?  Any appearances overseas? 

Tame One:
Germany, Amsterdam, Italy, France, Switzerland and Russia.


Royalty Magazine:  Any advice to upcoming artists looking to break into the industry?  What are some Do's & Don'ts you have learned throughout your career?  

Tame One:
As an artist, Don't assume its just.."Rhyme hot/Get Rich"..be prepared to work hard, toughen your skin, accept criticizm, and stay alert.  Don't assume other people will do anything for you, even if they tell you they will,-its called 'show business'..so be prepared to SHOW...BUSINESS. Litterally.


Royalty Magazine:  Any last comments, shot outs or anything else you want to add that we haven't touched basis on?

Tame One:
Peace to Artifacts-myself,El Da Sensei,DJ KAOS, The Boom Skwad, Weathermen, Atomic Headz.. and to the entire New Jersey HipHop scene.


Royalty Magazine:  How can people keep up with you and/or check out your music?

Tame One:
Its cliche',,but..google me..lol..itunes, soundcloud, facebook, youtube..search-Tame One ...you'll find me..(Or Artifacts). Peace.


Royalty Magazine:  Peace, Love & Respect...


Tazzy also catches up with El Da Sensei (Artifacts)


Royalty Magazine: What's good?  How has 2012 been treating you so far?

El Da Sensei:
  The year has been VERY good so far man we trying to do big things.


Royalty Magazine: That's wassup!  Tell us one thing that you will do different this year?  Differently from any other year before?

El Da Sensei: This year I wanna expand the Artifacts brand, get our visuals up and get the album done. We missed out on time only so I wanna make up for that. Musically we still got it, we not rushin it but we wanna get it right.

Royalty Magazine: Tell us about the name "Artifacts".  What does it mean to you and how did you come up with it?

El Da Sensei:
Artifacts to me is what it means really, what we do is still being put on display for the world to see and hear. Artifacts means to study ancient ruins or discoveries from times past to be analyzed to learn about them and its culture. We were on the path train coming from our first label meeting. They told us we had to change our name from that's them to ? Lol. Something just clicked I looked at tame and said "artifacts" he just smiled.


Royalty Magazine:  Yeah Artifacts is a dope name, it fits you guys well.  Take us back to the first time you picked up a mic and/or decided to take that first step with music...what was that feeling like?  What pushed you to want to take music seriously?

El Da Sensei:
First time I picked up a mic for real was in high school junior year and I did a talent show. My boy kenny played the drums and another friend played bass and my boy tito spun. It was crazy lol. I had on red silk shirt, black pants, red ballys (u thought I was BDK lol) everybody in my school was trippin. Naughty went to my school too and they was like the only cats in school runnin shit. I met tame after I graduated and we formed "that's them". We started seeing everybody come out one by one blowing up (naughty, redman, lords, apache) we was like "its our turn now".


Royalty Magazine: Do you remember the first track or graffiti tag you ever did?  If so, tell us about that experience?  Was it hot or not?

El Da Sensei:
First song I ever did was with my man jay burn. We was in Livingston mall and we went to one of those spots to record a song. We had a beat from diezzle don with the fat albert sample (mudfoot).  I don't remember the title but it was dope for our first song. Tag wise was when I went to arts high on the weekends they use to let us come up in there and just draw and paint from 8am to 1pm.


Royalty Magazine:  What are the four elements of hiphop?  Why is it important for upcoming emcees to know these elements as well as the history of hiphop?  

El Da Sensei:
4 elements are rhyming, b boying, graf, and djing. Shit now they need to add producing. Dudes today seem to not care about the elements, but that's why some of them don't last and sound like shit when they get put on the spot. Its like being in school yknow, u have to know your history in this and who rocked before you cuz most of'em still rockin (hint hint)


Royalty Magazine: Lol...True that!  How did you get into graffiti art?  Are you still practicing the art today?  How do you implement graffiti art into your music?

El Da Sensei:
Not too active in the hood cuz cops on that ass and I'm too old to be in the precinct for writing on the wall lol. I got into graf when I was 12. Went to the bronx zoo, saw them trains and I was hooked. Same day I came home from the zoo, Style Wars came on tv. My father was like uh oh. As far as in my music...I just keep the style in there & keep a smooth flow...like my artwork.

Royalty Magazine: Your single "Wrong side of Da tracks" is one of your most popular tracks to date.  Paying homage to graffiti art is a dope concept all in itself.  Besides being artists yourselves, what does the track mean to you?  What do you want the world to know about graffiti art?  

El Da Sensei:
That song is pretty much the soundtrack to our beginning and I'm proud as hell of that song. We went in doing that song like let's just make a song about graf and what we do...just some regular shit. Also Lord Jamar recorded the first version and he did the original hook. So it means a lot. We wanted to shed light on a subject that nobody was talking bout and we took it there.


Royalty Magazine:  In starting from where you began to where you are at now, how has hiphop as well as graffiti changed from your perspective? Where do u see the culture going over the next 5-10 years?

El Da Sensei:
At one point graf was in a slump and then all of a sudden cats figured hey let's get money doing this shit (ecko, pnb nation, third rail, conart) all these companies came and now with toys and festivals the culture has grown and artists have found other ways to still paint but now they get paid to do it. I can only see it getting bigger. The internet is here and can be a good asset to a dude or mc like me where u can really take advantage of self promo and marketing.


Royalty Magazine: True that!  Well the Artifacts are back together again, doing shows and going on tour...that's wassup!  What has your fan response been since you've reuinited?  Any misconceptions about when the group originally split up back in 1997 and/or anything you want to clear up?

El Da Sensei:
The love is there, everybody is happy as hell we back and no negativity
Everybody knows the story and I think we are ALL past the issues. We more than good trust me.


Royalty Magazine: Good shit...glad to hear that!  You've came along way since your first album "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" was released back in 1994...what can we expect to hear from you today?  What will the 2012 Artifacts bring to the world?

El Da Sensei:
Shit today's artifacts music is more grown and harder lil edgier and we still got lyrics. Just stepped up the bar heavy this round.


Royalty Magazine:  Tell us about some of your upcoming shows and/or tours.  What are some cities/dates that you will hit up?  Any appearances overseas? 

El Da Sensei:
We got the European tour coming this march 9th-24th from Germany, Paris,Denmark, Switzerland, Italy and many more spots.


Royalty Magazine:  Any advice to upcoming artists looking to break into the industry?  What are some Do's & Don'ts you have learned throughout your career?  

El Da Sensei:
All I can say is be yourself (really) don't sound like no one else. Have your own flow. Stay hungry and don't quit. Remember everybody gets a chance.



Royalty Magazine:  Any last comments, shot outs or anything else you want to add that we haven't touched basis on?

El Da Sensei:
Shouts to tamoner and dj kaos. Pb for hooking up the interview. Mentplus, puerto roc, sadat x, matt diamond (coalmine RECORDS), joanne and (coalmine MUSIC) and to everybody who waiting for us to come with this new heat.


Royalty Magazine:  How can people keep up with you and/or check out your music?

El Da Sensei:
Hit me on twitter el da sensei and on fb I'm there people. Artifacts are back dammit thanks for the support and your time peace.  


Royalty Magazine:  Peace, Love & Respect. 

*New Music*  It's been a long time awaiting but the Artifacts drop their first release in 15 years.  Check out their latest track, "Easter" produced by Khrysis. 

Shot out to Tame One, El Da Sensei & DJ Kaos. 






Tazzy catches up with Divine Bars


Pat Gallo DBA Divine Bars is no stranger to hip-hop.  With an ear for production as well as mic skills, P.G. proves time & time again why he is a force to be reckoned with.  In doing things his way, P.G.'s "not made for radio" style has allowed him to express his vision of music, with no holds barred.  He has worked closely with DMX as well as other known artits such as Styles P, JadaKiss, Sheek, Tyrese, French Montana & more... 

So what's popping with P.G. today?  Check out his exclusive interview with chief editor TazDatMC.



Royalty Magazine: What's good?  How has 2012 been treating you so far?  Tell us one thing that you will do differently this year than you did last year? 
P.G. 2012 has been great so far, a lot of new opportunities along with developing a whole new sound for Divine Bars productions. This year I’m concentrating more on the networking aspect of the business and taking more control of my own career. 
Royalty Magazine: That's wassup and def the way to do it!  Tell us...Who is Divine Bars?  How did you get started in music?  Tell us about the moment you fell in love with hiphop and what was that experience like?  What pushed you to take that first step? 
P.G. My Name is Pat Gallo, Divine Bars is my production company, all my production credits say Divine Bars but I don’t go by that name. I’ve been in love with music since I can remember. My mother was a big fan of country music, Motown and contemporary artists also like Elton John, Bill Joel along with R&B like Lionell Richie so I heard a lot of different stuff growing up. I think Tupac was the first Hip Hop Artist that I heard that I really felt his music and the message. I grew up with a kid who started rapping so I got involved with taking him to studios and finding beats for him. I met a producer who I ended up spending a lot of time in his studio watching him craft beats and sample and he showed me the ins and outs of his ASR which was a beat machine…. I also grew up across the street from Dame Grease’s studio, “Vacant Lot” where I spent a lot of time hanging out and watching Grease make beats and produce classic music.

Royalty Magazine: You are a producer as well as a rapper, what talent came first?  Do you prefer one over the other?  Any other talents?

P.G. Production came first, I’ve really only been rapping for a few years now, I spent a year living in Arizona with DMX and working on his album. It was right after my father passed away and there were a lot of other issues going on in my life. I saw how X used his music to vent and wrote about the issues in his life so on down time I began writing and fell in love with the art.

Royalty Magazine: You met DMX back in 2003 and yall have been cool every since.  How did yall hook up and what are some tracks/projects that you have collaborated on?

P.G. I met X through one of my childhood friends, Matt Quinn. He owned a detailing shop where X brought his cars to be detailed. Matt introduced me to X and from there I played him some beats and he asked me to be a part of the label he had at the time “Bloodline Records”.  I ended up producing a song titled “Blown Away” for his album “Year of the Dog Again”. We didn’t really get close until (as mentioned above) he called me to come work on his never released album “Walk With Me Now, Fly With me Later” out in AZ. It was there that we recorded over 30 songs together and became great friends, more like family. We also recently collaborated on a song for my mixtape “Divine Intervention 2.0” which will be released this summer. My first collaboration with him as an artist.

Royalty Magazine: You've also worked with artistst such as JadaKiss, Styles P, Sheek, Tyrese, French Montana & more...What are some of your other accomplishments?  Where do you see yourself over the next 5-10 years?

P.G. Those are some of the better known artists I’ve worked with. I’ve worked with other great artists that haven’t had that commercial success yet also like Tony Moxberg (an artist from Yonkers), Jan Spence (a singer from Philly), Cardan, Meeno, Senovia, McGruff, and the list goes on… This music is my life and I’m honored to work with talented people who share the same passion. My plans are to continue to make music and support my family doing what I love.

Royalty Magazine: In being from an area that is so competitive, how do you stay consistent as well as motivated?  Who inspires you to be a better artist?

P.G. I think self-motivation is something you are born with. I just focus on what I do and am so passionate about it… I really don’t need anyone else to motivate me. I find inspiration in many different places, I might hear something or even just walk down the street and see something that inspires me. 
Royalty Magazine: Any upcoming shows, projects or tracks we should be looking out for?   
P.G. Yea, I’m excited about Jada Kiss’ new project, I just started working with him. I did a beat for him feat. Gucci and another feat. Ace hood. I recently met Redman who I plan on working with in the future also. I did a couple tracks for Styles P where I sampled some of Adele’s music that should be on his next mixtape. And you can always expect to hear new music from me and X. I’m releasing my first solo project as an artist this summer (Divine Intervention 2.0) which will feature DMX, Jada Kiss, Styles P, Nore, and hopefully Redman so look out for that!

Royalty Magazine: From where you started to where you are now, is there anything you would do differently?  What have you learned throughout your career so far?

P.G.: If anything I’ve just learned not to put too much faith in people you don’t know too well. This is a cut-throat business and people will throw you under the bus any chance they get. I keep my circle small and everyone contributes and plays their part.

Royalty Magazine: From an artist point of view as well as a fan's, how has hiphop changed from when you first started to today?  If you could change one thing about the industry, what would it be and why?

P.G. The sound has changed dramatically. I think we are letting the wrong people decide what’s hot and what’s not. I hear a lot of complaining about what is played on radio but it seems like no one is doing anything to change it. I think all music has its place but there should be variety…  

Royalty Magazine: How has the passing of Heavy D, Don Cornelius, Whitney Houston, etc affected the industry?  How has it affected you, if any?  Has it made you look at life any differently?

P.G. I never met any of them personally.  I value life and I’ve lost a lot of close family so it doesn’t take strangers passing away for me to value it any more. My condolences go out to their families because they are the ones who directly have to deal with it.

Royalty Magazine: Speaking of passing, alot of lives in the industry, around the world and children are continuously being lost everyday.  Whether they are unexpected, self inflicted or by the hands of someone else they are happening more than ever and in rapid speeds...why do you think so many are dying so suddenly?  Is there anything we can do to stop it?  Do you think that there is a message from God in all this? 

P.G. I think there is a message in everything. I believe everything happens for a reason and God doesn’t make mistakes, so when it’s your time, it’s your time. I don’t think its happening more than before maybe people are just paying more attention or maybe its just more people who are in the public eye.

Royalty Magazine: Any advice to upcoming artists or producers trying to break into the industry?  What are some Do's & Dont's you have learned about the industry?  What would you say to someone who has the skills but no major label backing or support?

P.G. I say make a way, find a way. Nothing has been handed to me and I’ve had to work hard for what I’ve accomplished. It’s a new day and with the Internet major labels are not necessarily needed to be able to make a living making music. Don’t sell yourself short and don’t let anyone tell you “you can’t”.

Royalty Magazine: You said that "music is a direct reflection of your personality"...what does that statement mean to you and how would you describe your personality? In addition, describe your style in 5 words or less.

P.G. My music is me. Whatever I create is a reflection of the way I’m feeling at that moment. Life is a rollercoaster and music is a way to document the ups and downs. Its my retreat, its therapy, it’s a way to vent. My Style: NY, Real, Authentic, creative, Original

Royalty Magazine: Any last words, comments or anything you want to touch basis on that we haven't talked about?  Anything you want to speak on or clear up?

P.G.  I just want to inspire people to do what they love. There is nothing wrong with being different, be yourself and whatever you do give it your all and put your heart in it! Also I think people confuse Divine Bars with being my name, I meet people and they call me Divine Bars, Don’t. Call me Pat!

Royalty Magazine: How can people keep up with you or check out some of your work?

P.G. Twitter - @Divinebars
         Youtube/Divinebars
         Divinebars.com
         Instagram - Divinebars


Royalty Magazine: Thank you for your time, much love and respect...keep grinding!


For more videos as well as exclusive interviews with Bekay & Sabotawj, click here for more Ear Hustlin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment