Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Super Bowl Curse



Let’s go back in time for a bit, shall we?

We’re going to the Super Bowl…!!

“Gonna have you naked by the end of this song…”

Justin made his move and…

It was meant to be a suggestive, well-choreographed motion to compliment the song. Sadly it did something more than that. Firstly it probably gave perverts, fans, Janet Jackson stalkers, and various others the thrill of their life when they saw Miss Jackson’s (since we’re being nasty) exposed breast.

Secondly, the term “wardrobe malfunction” found its way prominently into to the worldwide lexicon. Moreover, that particular set of words always brings that one moment to mind in the racial memory of everyone who hears it. It’d be the same if I said DTF, insurgents, or Rick James.

Thirdly it gave the FCC a massive coronary. I’m sure they may have recovered from it but as always the FCC have the tendency to overreact over anything risqué, forgetting of course how mostly all the commercials, TV shows, music videos, and things we consume on TV are borderline pushing it.

The final and worst result would be how low the Super Bowl Halftime Show has fallen. Granted I have no problems with Tom Petty. Hell, when The Who performed I was extremely excited. I love Pete Townshend. The Black Eyed Peas did their part to break the monotony. I was a little conflicted about Bruce Springsteen’s performance and at the same time I was wondering. When Springsteen did all those power slides, complete with gratuitous crotch shots, did the FCC have a fit then? Because honestly decrepit genitals seems so much worse to me than a nipple shot. It really is.

This year is Madonna, a risqué performer in her own time.

I silently wonder when more popular artists will be allowed back to perform. If this is the FCC’s way of punishing the displaying of the human form, we’ve all learned our lessons. I know Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson have learned theirs, too. Maybe it’s about time that we look past the past and look towards a more entertaining future. I’m not saying that we have to put the most hardcore rap acts up or even death metal bands. But what I am saying that a little Drake, Brittney Spears, Big K.R.I.T., T.I., Coldplay, Rihanna, or anyone else who’s really big right now wouldn’t be amiss. I promise you that Rihanna will stay clothed (mostly) and that Chris Martin won’t expose himself after he finishes singing “Viva La Vida”. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment