Saturday, August 6, 2011

Below the Radar (August 2011)

Reporting Live From the East Coast
G3Mz & Ms FeFe!








DRE SKUFFS


Dre Skuffs is an artist that can touch any individual personally with his passionate yet vicious delivery. Writing rhymes since the age of 11, hip-hop became an outlet for Dre to express himself and voice his opinion. Dre Skuffs is nothing less then a hip-hop phenomenon from a town that has a story of its own. You take the offspring of the black renaissance thinkers, hustlers and scholars from all major cities in the tri-state and put them in an area close enough to their original ghetto and you have Willingboro. Heavily influenced by real life, struggle, and hunger this New Jersey MC has the ambition & skills to single handily force his way in the game. Point – blank – period. Some Call him “the voice of the streets” Dre Skuffs is as discipline as one can possibly be.

With his mother being raised in Jamaica, and father growing up in Trenton, NJ He came up seeing two cultures, religion, and more importantly hearing great music. His family moved to Willingboro, NJ. Dre’s greatest achievement was a bachelor’s degree in communications at HBCU Johnson C. Smith University, a beautiful wife and twin sons. Dre Skuffs dropped seven cd’s which most say are all “hood classics”. Dre Skuffs is not only a writer, but he also produces, directs-films-and edits his own videos, & designs his own covers. Skuffs is readying to release his next cd entitled, “Chill Pill” All songs on the album are produced by N-Omega. Recently featured on MSNBC.com, Burlington County Times Newspaper, Philly Burbs, Jahyummy.com, and various Internet radio stations he surely making a mark.

Also C.E.O of Paid in Full Family ENT. Alongside with N-Omega and Newark natives Shean Ford, Jamaal Wilkins, Amir Wooten, Ibn Dinkins this team is established to rain supreme. His unique rap style is a combination of wittiness, blunt yet passionate, vivid and sincere. Dre Skuffs is a legend in the making offering a solid message that is almost unheard in this new age of hip-hop. Dre Skuffs is known as the one with an old soul. The wisdom and substance in his music is almost undefined. Skuffs is already making business happen with Paid in Full Family. The hunger and ambition that he and his team have should be enough to prove that Dre Skuffs and PIFF Entertainment is the next big thing in hip-hop. Lookout for Wooten “iNSOMNIAC” and N-Omega “HAPPY NEW DAY” coming soon.

N.A.B: What influenced you to start making a name for yourself in such a competitive industry?

DRE: Growing up witnessing some of the greatest never make it. I used to sit back and watch there mistakes. At first rap was just a hobby, but there failures influenced me to take my talent to the next level. On top of that I had the talent, and the grind for it. I feel like I have something else to offer in this industry. I have a lane on my own that's risky yet marketable. Therefore I figured making a name for myself was the only option.

N.A.B: Now we see that your degree was a major accomplishment for you along with your wife and twins, what would you say was your biggest accomplishment thus far musically?

DRE: Day by Day I see a strong growth in my downloads and fan-base. More people from not only the U.S. but overseas are starting to be exposed to my music. Not only has my music improved over the years, but my quality and production progressed. Some of my biggest accomplishments recently were due to the ongoing success of my latest cd "Chill Pill" which actually has been opening a lot of doors for me musically since it hit the streets May 17th 2011. Interviews, shows, collabs etc. All have been coming consistently.

N.A.B: How did you come to know A.D. the General and the whole Elegant Hoodness Movement? How have they opened up doors for you?

DRE: I been paying attention to A.D. the General grind over the internet. I watched a few of her videos and really loved what she was doing with hip-hop. I finally reached out to her over facebook, exchanged numbers and we chopped it up. Since than it's been nothing but love. I had a chance to perform for one of her shows and even interviews been set up off the strength of her grind. With me being a jersey artist, Elegant Hoodness definitely opened some doors in the NY area.

N.A.B: What are your views on the state of hip hop right now and what do you hope to bring to the legacy of hip hop?

DRE: As far as the business behind hip-hop… it's whack. The bullshit in hip-hop from a musical perspective doesn't bother me. My only concern with Dre Skuffs is "ME" putting out good music. Hip-Hop will always have a variety and it always did. My problem with Hip-Hop is the rappers in it. Too many followers not enough leaders and trendsetters. Too many biters, not enough originators. Besides that, hip-hop has it's ups and downs but the talent never went away. There's a lane for everybody. The lane I chose I happen to be the only one in it. I hope to bring a new wave to hip-hop. I wanna bring legendary sound back to hip-hop.

N.A.B: Who are some of the people who have helped you get to where you are now?

DRE: God. Besides him… no specific person. I happen to be apart of a team building this from the ground up. No budgets. No investors. This is all from the muscle. We still paying bills and trying to stay sane. We build are own network from scratch and it's still slowly growing. We are all the foundation to my future success. Even ElegantHoodness. All positive adds up.

N.A.B: So you have seven cd’s out and working to release another one, where do you go to get your creative juices going to be consistent in bring forth classic music as it’s said?

DRE: Real Life inspires great music creation for me. Shit aint easy. It's a struggle, and when success comes things still wont be perfect. When life's good or when lifes a bite in the ass… either way I will always have that inspiration to create for the simple fact i'm living. I give it to you raw uncut with my music theres no making it rain or pulling up in bentlys talk cause that aint what it is for me right now. It's easy to make great music when your keeping it 100. I will always put out classic material.

N.A.B: Is there anyone you would like to shout out and where can people connect with you and your music and download these classic mixtapes?

DRE: You can find everything at www.dreskuffs.com follow me @dreskuffs and holla at me on facebook/dreskuffs .. for bookings: paidinfullfam@gmail.com shout out Jahyummy.com , P.I.F.F. ENT., Wooten, N-Omega, all the blogs-promoters-internet radio & dj's i bang with. the whole Jersey movement, and most importantly the Five Finger Union Movement.

WRITTEN BY: GSTEAM843
COURTESY OF THE ELEGANT HOODNESS MUSICAL PROGRAM 2011'



JG


Having family members who’s musically inclined lead Joshua Geiger aka JG his path to artistry. Born in Tampa Florida, age 11 is where it all began. JG acquainted him self with a variety of eminence beings such as Tupac, Wale, Eminem, Nelly, J cole and Bob. By the age of 19 it was time to start focusing hands on with his music. JG has been featured on several mix tapes including Rough Draft; Unsigned Hype Vol. 3,Coast to Coast mix tapes Worldwide hustling Vol. 6 hosted by Dj Purfiya. JG first solo mix tape dropped January 2011 titled “Censored”. He’s currently working in a master’s degree in Communication atLindenwood University. “Now that’s GRAND”, quoted by SpecialGift N.A.B. In the meantime while working on his second mix tape “Decoded” hosted by Dj Purfiya, JG has won the People’s Choice Award with the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program Miami edition 2011. With this win he has endured the opportunity of radio spins and interviews across the country. Such as, Rockin with N.A.B. hosted by MsFefe N.A.B. & Gsteam843, Fresh Fridays hosted by Gemz (Team N.A.N.), Drty Bsmnt radio and Ifeelgr8 radio. The road to success seems to be entering his domain. As time progresses building to the next level is the mission for JG. Let’s get further acquainted with JG.


N.A.B.: With the hands on experience you’ve acquired so far, how will you use it to benefit you further?


JG: I’m definitely gonna keep grindin man, my eyes have really been opened recently and getting in with the right people is helping out too. From here I plan to keep networking and start doing a lot more shows, only up from here.


N.A.B.: Your second mix tape “Decoded”, how did you come up with the concept?


JG: It was really a cool thing how it happened. I was kickin it with my boys over at SDB radio (stationed in San Diego) and we were vibin to a few of the tracks I had shown them from the tape. Then the name just kinda came to us, mainly because of the lyrical content in the tracks. It’s just different than most popular music today. Listen and you’ll get the vibe.
N.A.B.: Tell us about your experience at the Elegant Hoodness Musical Program Miami edition. Would you refer other up and coming artist?


JG: Aw man it was a wild experience. The whole thing was pretty surreal, with it being right on South Beach and everything. The competition level was really high but I did my thing, especially since it was my first time rocking the stage haha, I would most definitely recommend artists to give it a shot.


N.A.B.: What are your future plans after “Decoded” drops?


JG: After DeCoded drops Im gonna really get on my promo grind and try and push it hard. I got a couple projects coming up too, working with my boy Hym out in Indy, and my boy Sello on some features. Other than that man just keep pushing, and definitely start doing shows and really get my name out there.


N.A.B.: Are there any prominent artist you’re interested in collaborating with in the future?


JG: I’m up for collaborations with any and everybody. I’m really versatile so pretty much whoever asks me to hop on wit them, I’m in. In a dream world I would love to work with J Cole or Big Sean.. In a dream world haha


N.A.B.: Elaborate on what comes to mind when you think “Go Hard

JG: To me going hard is exceeding your limits, and expanding your mind. That’s what I think; artists these days don’t do enough of that. It seems like people have the misconception that you have to talk about murdering people to “go hard”. That’s not it at all.


N.A.B.: Where can we find more of JG? Any shout outs you would like to give at this time?

JG: Ya for sure man I wanna give a big shout out to Joey Bounce for putting me on with the EHMP, shout out my boys Rick and Quis for ridin with me, and all my friends, family, and supporters as well. You can find me all over the web man, Twitter, Facebook, Reverb, I got a website up, and I’m always getting radio spins at SDBradio.com. Hit me up.
http://twitter.com/JG_realmusic

WRITTEN BY: SPECIALGIFT N.A.B.
COURTESY OF THE ELEGANT HOODNESS MUSICAL PROGRAM 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment