Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A ‘Technicolor Lover’ Affair (Summer Grind Issue 2012)

One day I was trolling about Twitter, laughing at random tweets and stealing glances at the occasional posted pic when a tweet from Amanda Seales (@AmandaSeales) that made me stop. Here is a small excerpt from it:
Soul meets hip hop. Love meets truth…

In this instance she was speaking of her new album Technicolor Lover. Purely based off that glowing indictment I decided that this was something I should investigate for myself. As a young woman who has been heavy in music for a while I figured that I had nothing to worry about in regards to sound. In the past I even heard her do a remix to the popular Lupe Fiasco track “Sunshine” which, if my memory serves correctly, I loved almost instantly.

So I dived in with eyes wide open.

Technicolor Lover has a soft eloquence to it that is completely inescapable. That feeling begins at once when you are listening to the first track, “Technicolortro”. Although Amanda’s style is all her own I feel the same sort of warmth and ease I feel when I listen to Goapele or Amel Larrieux.

Someday” is the second track. To me it pays like a jazz funk sort of ballad. The trumpet is crisp and well placed on this one. She ensnares you with wording and the way her soulful voice delivers him. I also appreciated the hip-hop breakdown towards the end of the song, a breakdown reminiscent of Lauryn Hill. This is the type of song you’d hear at an upscale jazz club as the night really begins to get started.

I’m unsure if it’s truly irony but “Favorite” happens to be another song here that I love. Here Seales is neo-soul heavy and in complete command over her vocals and the piano itself. Everything about this one endears to my soul and the part of my person that grew up loving every aspect of soul music.

A few more tracks you should check out would be “Timing”, “In Due Time”, “This Too Shall Pass”, and “Lovers Live in Color”.

As a whole this is another in a growing line of albums and/or mixtapes that is making this year an amazing time for music for me. So far I have enjoyed damn near everything that I have listened to. Here’s hoping that after my love affair with Technicolor Lover more will appear to keep me going.       



Courtesy of Lucius Black for Royalty Magazine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment