Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Great ‘Ambition’ (Summer Grind Issue 2012)

Two years is a long time to wait for anything when you really think about it. Sometimes time has a way of racing past as if it were galloping or high on cocaine. But more often than any of us would like time has the disobliging habit of crawling by so slowly that you can hardly believe that it’s actually happening.

This is true of video games.

I personally remember feeling like I was waiting forever for God of War III to come out. Every day until the release date felt like a silent torture I suffered daily. But when that amazing game came out I quickly learned that some things are truly worth the wait. That game was epic.

That same sort of thing can be applied to albums.

Thug Motivation 103: Hustlerz Ambition was the album from Young Jeezy that every true fan was waiting for.

Despite mixed reviews, I gave it a listen.

This album was another of those moments where you can say it was worth the wait. It seems like every track was perfectly crafted to build upon the ones after a certain song finishes playing. That’s what you usually hope to get from an album.

Let’s look in on some of those songs, OK?

“O.J.” was a bit confusing at first. It wasn’t until Jeezy said in the chorus “killing that white girl” that I finally got it. It was funny, clever, and a bit sad given the story behind the reference. Despite that Jeezy gives some great delivery here. I was hard pressed to decide between Jeezy and the two featured artists (Jadakiss and Fabolous) as far as the verses go.

Supafreak” was pretty amazing as well.   I’m always extremely content when Georgia born rappers come together and seeing 2 Chainz on this track made my day. It jams and I had to put it on repeat a few times. I was that impressed.

Higher Learning” is the classic marijuana anthem with a smooth chorus sung by Mitchelle‘l. As with any weed song you need Snoop Dogg on it. As always he delivers that cool groove that only Snoop can. Plus I was excited to hear from Devin the Dude, a personal favorite of mine. Somehow these guys come together with Jeezy to make magic happen.

All that I can say about Thug Motivation 103: Hustlerz Ambition is that it is another wonderful addition to The Snowman’s catalogue. Keep at it, sir…and welcome back.


Courtesy of Lucius Black for Royalty Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment