Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Memories Museum (2)


I am the child of memory. Those things that you remember are often amazing and surprising sometimes. For example I remember riding in the back of my mom’s ‘piece of crap’ (her words, not mine) Oldsmobile listening to Michael Bolton tapes and Anita Baker heavily. I think that where I first learned to love everything and everyone in music. It might even surprise you that I know the words to Fleetwood Mac songs as well as rap lyrics.

This was her way, although she’d never said it, of making us (that is, my sister and I) eclectic people. I like to be so bold as to think that it works.

But music has always been tied to memory. You tend to remember the good albums.

Case in point…

I went to high school in Savannah, GA. Being that most people who read this might know what or where Herschel V. Jenkins High School is I say it for the sake of just highlighting a place where I spent four wonderful years. Around sophomore year after I’d gotten most of the delinquency out of my system I joined NJROTC (Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps for those who do not know). Suffice to say I fit in rather well. I was active on a few teams and eventually made officer (my rank being ensign) at the beginning of my senior year.

Being that graduation was fast approaching we had an end of the year trip. By luck of the draw I ended up in a room with a bunch of my fellow officers. One had his iPod and the dock so we had music. At one point a bestial track pumped through the room.

I had to know what it was.

I looked at the iPod and smiled.

“Top Back” by T.I.

I had previously been in love with “Rubberband Man” and “Do It”.

This song, this KING album just reinforced what I already knew. As the trip went on I found myself with one line from that song on perpetual repeat in my head.

The line?

It’s Pimp Squad Click/I know y’all heard about us/Young niggas filthy rich/And we ain’t worried ‘bout much/On this Glock I clutch/In God I trust/If a fuck nigga start/Then his heart I’ll bust

That line was what really made me go out and actually purchase the album.

The only regret I have is that I bought it from Wal-Mart.

More good memories…

No comments:

Post a Comment